Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/21/2005 5:25:10 PM EDT
I'm looking to build an AR using one of the four kit makers out there...

1) Model 1
2) Delton
3) M & A
4) J & T

What I'd like to know is which one has the best quality parts and finish?
What are your experiences with these companies and their kits?

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 5:35:52 PM EDT
[#1]
I bought a J&T 24" SS Bull Barrel kit on my DPMS lower.  It rocks.  100 yard groups are 1/2-inch.  Quality and service.   I'm looking to build another on a stag lower.  I just want a 16-inch car A3 to plink with so I may go with the Model 1 (cheaper).  I don't really know becuase the J&T is so good.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 10:49:26 PM EDT
[#2]
i have handle the majority listed and feel that the j&t kits are by far better quality, fit and finish.

just my .02
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 1:08:09 PM EDT
[#3]
I have purchased two kits, barrels, upper receivers, and various small parts from J&T, and am VERY pleased with the quality of the kits, fit and finish, and most of all, excellent performance.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 7:04:51 PM EDT
[#4]
model 1 sucks the only time i dealt with them i got screwed on a lpk most of it was out of spec
rra=good
dpms=good
cmt=good
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 8:04:48 PM EDT
[#5]
I built a M4 from an M and A kit.  Great kit overall, never had any problem with it.  Came with M4 feed ramps that were cut very well.  The 6-position stock that came with it was a RRA, though.   My dealings with M and A were good, and so was my friend's.  I've also heard about several folks who had problems with them.  Plus there's the who choking incedent at the gun show.  But, I could really give less of shit, just as long as I can get my guns parts.  hug.gif

also: I'm builting a M4 right now with entirely DPMS parts excluding the barrel.  All there stuff seems to be really good.  Their lowers look good too, although it rumored that LMT makes lowers for just about every major company, excluding a few folks.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 8:48:23 AM EDT
[#6]
When it comes to kits, J&T is all you really need to know.  Yeah, they do occasionally mix up an order and send the wrong part or two, but a quick phone call and all is well with the world.  Be sure to use the downloadable cataloge to order from as it has all of the options and they are almost endless.  And if not listed do not be afraid to ask for something as I think they will do whatever they can to make you happy.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 12:25:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Only dealt with Model-1 and J&T.

Model 1's kit (XM-177) was nice and had no problems with it.

J&T kit (A2)was OK.  Went together with no problems.  It works fine.  Sent wrong kit the 1st time.  Received the correct kit a week later.  Was not thrilled with some minor cosmetic things with pitting and where finish did not take.  Looks like due to some "contamination" or clamp marks during finish process  www.hunt101.com/img/287328.jpg.  Decided not to send it back again as I'd probably do more to it cosmetically through use over time anyhow.  I can always refinish it myself in the future.  Overall a good kit though.  

Just my experience for what it's worth.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 2:21:57 PM EDT
[#8]

Only dealt with Model-1 and J&T.

Model 1's kit (XM-177) was nice and had no problems with it.

J&T kit (A2)was OK. Went together with no problems. It works fine. Sent wrong kit the 1st time. Received the correct kit a week later. Was not thrilled with some minor cosmetic things with pitting and where finish did not take. Looks like due to some "contamination" or clamp marks during finish process www.hunt101.com/img/287328.jpg. Decided not to send it back again as I'd probably do more to it cosmetically through use over time anyhow. I can always refinish it myself in the future. Overall a good kit though.

Just my experience for what it's worth.

What are those dark black marks on the upper? Is that a stag lower that J&T kit is sitting on?
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 4:28:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Yes it's a Stag lower.  Both builds I did were on Stags.  Both the Model-1 and J&T uppers finishes matched up real good with the lowers once they were oiled after the builds were complete.

The black marks are what I was referring to when I mentioned some sort of "contamination" during the finish process that prevented the final finish from taking or "clamp marks" when the barrel was installed and rubbed the finish smooth.  The marks are on both sides of the receiver.  The picture just shows the worst of the 2 sides, and the small "pitting".  They are not oil marks and cannot be buffed out or anything.

Like I said though, nothing that impairs operation,  just a cosmetic thing when you take a good look at it.  The "pitting" you'd have to look even a little closer to see.  Still happy with the operation of the rifle when I got done with it.  No complaints there or with the ease of putting it together.

I just decided not to send the upper back a 2nd time after I received the wrong upper the 1st time.   If I order from them again sometime in the future, I'll just pay more attention to the finish.  I figure this was just an "oops" and I needed to have a rifle up and running and did not have the time to return this one again.  1st I've heard or seen of this, so I would take it as a very rare thing.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 6:29:23 PM EDT
[#10]
thanks
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 9:05:29 PM EDT
[#11]
I want to build an a-2 rifle from a kit and this thread pointed me towards J&T, I have one question though.  I want to build an a2 style rifle, and JT has the choice between standard a2 and the expeditionary rifle which supposedly has the "tack driving" barrel.  Anyone know how much more accurate one of the expedition rifles would be or why the extra 40 bucks would be worth it (or not).  Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 3:49:32 AM EDT
[#12]
You open a can of worms with this question.  I doubt you will see a noticable difference between the two for your needs.  If you plan to put on a free float handguard, and shoot from a rest then go for a heavy barrel, not the expedition.

The expedition looks good but limits your options for the future is some respects.  It is a built in muzzle brake and so you will forever forgo a flash suppressor.  I think the expedition was an attempt to satisify the ban requirements, but I do think it looks good.  The ban is lifted now.

If it were me, I would go for the HBAR on a 20 inch with preban features.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 3:54:58 AM EDT
[#13]
I've used lower parts kits from J&T with very good luck and actually prefer them to the RRA and Armalite kits I've used. I've never used any of the other three you listed
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 4:32:20 AM EDT
[#14]
M1S M4gery build here. Very nice fit and finish, M4 feed ramps as well. No problems with roughly 2500 rounds though it. On my next build I'm going with an LMT upper of some sort on a CMMGinc lower.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 7:53:03 AM EDT
[#15]
IMO the best LPK around is STAG/CMT
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top