Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/19/2005 5:53:45 PM EDT
I've been mulling this over for a while, ever since I baked some AlumahydeII in my car last year.

I'd like to try some other finishes like Norell's but dont want to bake them in my home oven. I've seen some plans for "locker ovens" and the like but I was thinking about something different.
The other day when I left my gun in the car for an hour and reholstered made me think of it again. Ouch!
Here's what I found when I googled "solar oven". Check it out.

www.pathtofreedom.com/pathproject/offthegrid/solaroven.shtml
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 6:12:02 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm not sure you could get a constant temperature and have it hold for an hour, at least not on demand.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 6:15:30 PM EDT
[#2]
I've baked KG gun cote in my oven, and it gave off no odor while baking.  Just make sure all the solvent used to suspend the material has "flashed" off (ie: make sure it's dry) before you cook it.  Consistant (predictable) temperature is good to have.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 6:49:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Capt'n, what temp are you trying to reach?  I live in N.E. Florida and it gets darn hot here. When I get into my truck in the afternoon, the thermometer reads between 125 and 130 degrees F.  That is with  the windows rolled down about 2" during the day. That temp is probably consistant  for 3 to 4 hours of the day.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 7:06:07 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Capt'n, what temp are you trying to reach?  I live in N.E. Florida and it gets darn hot here. When I get into my truck in the afternoon, the thermometer reads between 125 and 130 degrees F.  That is with  the windows rolled down about 2" during the day. That temp is probably consistant  for 3 to 4 hours of the day.

I dont know. I've only been thinking about this. I figure one of these ovens can hit 300* in Fl. easy and that shouls bake Norell's. Even 200* for a few hours should do the trick...shouldnt it?
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 3:59:43 PM EDT
[#5]
You can make something similar by cutting a 55 gal drum in half along the longest axis and lining
it w/ tinfoil.  When pointed at the sun like a parabolic antenna the center of the radius gets
all the focused heat.  Problem is is also gets all the focused light,  how sensitive are these
finishes to UV radiation?
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 9:14:09 PM EDT
[#6]
 Good idea, pooby.  Here in AZ it's already hitting the hundreds....makes for a lot of sun.  If you focused the sunlight onto a heat conductive surface and used THAT to heat the interior of the oven you'd definitely be cookin' with gas around here....well, maybe not gas.......

When I was a wee lad we had this girl do a REALLY cool science experiment  in the middle of winter no less:  she took a disc sled and coated the interior with 1 inch decorative mirror squares to make a parabolic reflector.  She ran a brace fron the exterior of the sled to the focal point of her "mega" mirror that held an aluminum pan.  In the pan she put a hot dog.  In about 1 minute she had successfully cooked the hot dog to death and actually nearly burned through the aluminum pan!!!!

Gives you a bit of respect for solar power.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 9:54:58 PM EDT
[#7]
OMG U R USING NUCLEAR POWAR!!

Well, you are.

The thing about this is that it's difficult to get more diffuse heat; you'll need some sort of innner substrate, like vermiculite or perlite, to distribute the heat. But those solar furnaces are verrry effective.. I put one together in 5th grade with foil-backed cardboard and scared the crap out of myself with the things I could do.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 10:06:10 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
 Good idea, pooby.  Here in AZ it's already hitting the hundreds....makes for a lot of sun.  If you focused the sunlight onto a heat conductive surface and used THAT to heat the interior of the oven you'd definitely be cookin' with gas around here....well, maybe not gas.......

When I was a wee lad we had this girl do a REALLY cool science experiment  in the middle of winter no less:  she took a disc sled and coated the interior with 1 inch decorative mirror squares to make a parabolic reflector.  She ran a brace fron the exterior of the sled to the focal point of her "mega" mirror that held an aluminum pan.  In the pan she put a hot dog.  In about 1 minute she had successfully cooked the hot dog to death and actually nearly burned through the aluminum pan!!!!

Gives you a bit of respect for solar power.

I've always wanted to make a death ray. To take over the world, of course!
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 12:12:45 PM EDT
[#9]
someone beat you to it....

http://solardeathray.com/

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top