Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/15/2005 7:25:40 PM EDT
What size is the allen key screw on the lower reciever pistol grip?
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 7:51:02 AM EDT
[#1]
3/16, and you need a long one.
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 9:43:00 AM EDT
[#2]
thanks
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 10:52:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Sorry for the hijack, but where's a good place online to get one of these wrenches?
Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 12:13:36 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Sorry for the hijack, but where's a good place online to get one of these wrenches?
Thanks.

bought mine at Sears
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 12:32:47 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Thanks.

Make sure you get the long arm type. They should be available at Home Depot or any local hardware stores.

I also got my hex key set at Sears.
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 1:39:31 PM EDT
[#6]
I use a driver that takes various bits (hex, flathead, philips, etc.).  I find it easier to use than the individual L-shaped hex wrenches.
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 7:18:35 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I use a driver that takes various bits (hex, flathead, philips, etc.).  I find it easier to use than the individual L-shaped hex wrenches.

That's the best idea, you can get a set with all kinds of bits (torx, allen, big and small phillips, etc.) for around $20 with a ratcheting screwdriver.

If not, you can get one of those cheap sets of L shaped allen keys for around $5, just use a pair of Vice Grips on the L end of the key so you have the torque to loosen and tighten it.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 12:52:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Got a whole set of long ones (standard/Metric) for 12 bucs at Wally World
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 12:54:58 PM EDT
[#9]
yup i got a whole set for $10

btw, if you want a new lock washer, it is a 1/4" external tooth lock washer
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 1:00:56 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Thanks.

Easier just to go down to a local hardware store.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 9:53:00 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I've never understood the choice of external teeth on the lock washer.  It's always looked like the teeth are not under the bolt at all.  So I replaced mine with internal teeth and now the teeth are between the grip and the bolt, as I think they should be.

What do you guys think?
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 3:54:30 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've never understood the choice of external teeth on the lock washer.  It's always looked like the teeth are not under the bolt at all.  So I replaced mine with internal teeth and now the teeth are between the grip and the bolt, as I think they should be.

What do you guys think?

It has always worked. The couple times I've taken the pistolgrips off my AR's, the bolt comes right out, but the washer always seems to stick in there, so I know the teeth actually do dig in and grab hold.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 4:42:42 PM EDT
[#13]
the one i used I got at harbor freight. They just happened to be long enough and I got a whole metric and standard set for about 4 dollars.

works great
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top