BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 9
Posted: 4/19/2005 7:44:16 PM EDT
AND FOR MY POST NUMBER 5.56....

I was bored today so I took some time to figure this out so here it is, build you own tactical sling STEP BY STEP with pictures.  Here's what you're going to build...

Best thing, its the same type of sling that can cost as much as 40 bucks, you'll build it for under $11!

here we go

Step 1:

gather all parts needed for the build they are:

7.5 feet of 1.5" wide nylon web
5 inch piece of 1.5" wide nylon web     <-------I'm getting feedback that this piece works much better 7 inches long.  To each his own, assembly is easier with the longer piece.
Two 15 inch pieces of 1" wide nylon web
Two 1.5" wide buckles
Three 1.5" wide slide locks
Two 1" wide slide locks
Tape measure
Scissors to make the 5" piece and the two 15 inchers
Lighter to seal the ends of the nylon web

All the parts needed to make the sling can be found at ACE hardware for $10.08

Step 2:

Slide a female buckle end onto the 1.5" web and then put a slide lock on the tail of the web itself.  Paying attention to the direction of the slide and female end in the picture

Step 3:

Loop the web back and through the slide lock installed in the 2nd step, make your loop 27 inches long.  Paying attention to the direction of the slide and female end as before, use the picture if it helps.

Step 4:

Slide a 1.5" slide lock on to the web, note that you will leave an open end of the new slide lock pointing out, this will now be the "outside" of the sling.  Follow picture.

Step 5:

Assemble this piece using the 5" long piece of 1.5" wide web and one female and one male end of 1.5" buckles.  This step would be hard to describe use the picture for the details, but pay close attention to the way the web is routed and the direction of the buckles.

Step 6:

Slide the assembly you made in step 5 onto the sling as shown in the picture.

Step 7:

Assemble this mess on the open end of the sling using the last male buckle and a slide stop.  I left the web loose in this picture to illustrate the way to route the sling through all the parts.  Note that the tail of the web is on the outside of the sling, as described in step 4

Step 8:

Tighten step 7 down to look like this, only leave 1/4-1/2 inch of web past the slide lock

Step 9:

Using the two 15" pieces of 1" wide web and the two 1" wide slide locks pass them through like shown in the picture.  This is where you will use the open end of the 1.5" lock left over from step 4.  The 1" web passes through the outside of the male buckle installed in step 7 and 8

Step 10:

Tighten everything down good, and snap all the buckles, you'll have something that looks like this when your done!

and here it is on an AR using GG&G sling things

I hope you found this useful.  If your not up to building one yourself I can make it for you for 20 dollars shipped just IM me.

Thanks for looking!
Matt

I've been getting requests on how to use the sling.....Its completely understandable that some don't know how to use the sling/for that reason I offer you:  SLING USE

Carry in the front, pay attention to how the sling loops over the left shoulder and under the right arm.

Carry on the right side, works well for most applications, can also be modified to sling weapon behind back by just sliding the gun further behind.

Left side carry, excellent for transition drills, when the gun is dropped it will naturally slide to this position clearing the way for holster use on right thigh or hip.

Backpack carry, by splitting the sling straps one for left and one for right shoulder, the weapon can be carried like a backpack for a very comfortable long term carry, a hike for instance, in the sand, carrying a log of fire wood, uphill, both ways

Ready for use, presenting the weapon from the left side carry position, when finished drop gun and it will naturally return to left side carry, smooth!

Transitioning the weapon from right to left shoulder with the sling is as easy as uncoupling the foreward-most buckle.  This adds a foot or so to the sling length and makes it possible to shoot left handed while slung for a right handed shooter.  Vice Versa for lefty's!

I hope you found this useful.

Thanks for looking!
Matt
Link Posted: 4/19/2005 8:21:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Good man!!  Thankyou for sharing this, I know I'll be using it.
Link Posted: 4/20/2005 2:09:29 PM EDT
[#2]
If it's Stickman approved I'll be using it also!

+1
Link Posted: 4/20/2005 3:58:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Nice job ! I'll have to give it a try . Thanks .
Link Posted: 4/20/2005 9:42:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Nice looking sling.  I will definitely be going to the H/W store soon...

I hate to display my ignorance, but....  

---  What is the purpose of the 2 Fastex buckles?  Do you unlatch them to make a "single point" sling?  unlatch to deploy from a chest-carry?  convert to a "backpack" arrangement? Do some voodoo-magic to "sling up" like a high-power shooter?  or what?

---  How do you adjust the sling for length?  (I realize that you have a few choices, with all those buckles and sliders, but what is the preferred method??)

Link Posted: 4/21/2005 4:51:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Adjust for size with the slide lock in the center of the 27" loop.

The foreward most buckle is unlatched when you want to use the sling for shooting left handed while it is slung over right sholder, or for any other reason you need to add a foot or so to the drop lentgh of the sling.

The buckle behind that is a quick release.  If you get caught up in somthing/snap/ and your out of the sling completely.  would have been nice when I was dying upside down in a humvee choaking to death on my sling...!@#$ALK!@! anyway.

Thanks!
Matt
Link Posted: 4/21/2005 12:25:28 PM EDT
[#6]
awesome thanks, i was just thinking about buying some slings now ill just build some.
Link Posted: 4/21/2005 12:42:15 PM EDT
[#7]
My wife wants to know why Im taking her to dinner tonight, and then we are going to stop by the Fabric store!....

Link Posted: 4/21/2005 12:52:01 PM EDT
[#8]
tag
Link Posted: 4/21/2005 12:55:35 PM EDT
[#9]
sweet dude! I'm gonna try it this weekend
Link Posted: 4/21/2005 1:04:56 PM EDT
[#10]
tag

and how you USE it?
Link Posted: 4/21/2005 4:30:14 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
tag

and how you USE it?

+1  Some photos of completed slings and how they are used, different configurations, etc.  would be a perfect completion to a great thread.
Link Posted: 4/21/2005 5:05:24 PM EDT
[#12]
+1 on the use

Glad my mom works at a fabric store
Link Posted: 4/21/2005 5:34:59 PM EDT
[#13]
i think ill have to hit the ace down the street on the way home from work tomorrow.

nice job man, thanks for sharing.
Link Posted: 4/21/2005 5:49:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Its completely understandable that some don't know how to use the sling...for that reason I offer you:  SLING USE

Carry in the front, pay attention to how the sling loops over the left shoulder and under the right arm.

Carry on the right side, works well for most applications, can also be modified to sling weapon behind back by just sliding the gun further behind.

Left side carry, excellent for transition drills, when the gun is dropped it will naturally slide to this position clearing the way for holster use on right thigh or hip.

Backpack carry, by splitting the sling straps one for left and one for right shoulder, the weapon can be carried like a backpack for a very comfortable long term carry, a hike for instance, in the sand, carrying a log of fire wood, uphill, both ways

Ready for use, presenting the weapon from the left side carry position, when finished drop gun and it will naturally return to left side carry, smooth!

Transitioning the weapon from right to left shoulder with the sling is as easy as uncoupling the foreward-most buckle.  This adds a foot or so to the sling length and makes it possible to shoot left handed while slung for a right handed shooter.  Vice Versa for lefty's!

Hope this helps all!
Matt
Link Posted: 4/21/2005 6:28:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Cool!

This thread isn't helping the 20" much in my dilemma on which size to buy
Link Posted: 4/21/2005 7:09:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Fantastic! Thanks for the usage photos.

Now, why haven't you made a sling for your Lab?
Link Posted: 4/21/2005 7:19:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Nice sling, I will have to try it.
Link Posted: 4/21/2005 7:29:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Well I got something to do tommorrow. This thread should be Tacked.
Link Posted: 4/21/2005 7:32:13 PM EDT
[#19]
it is in the general discussion forum

Thanks!
Matt

Quoted:
Well I got something to do tommorrow. This thread should be Tacked.

Link Posted: 4/22/2005 4:43:42 AM EDT
[#20]
Good,

Thanks fro sharing your work and taking time getting pics.

Tagged.
Link Posted: 4/22/2005 10:26:12 AM EDT
[#21]
Would Jo-Ann's fabric have the suplies?
Link Posted: 4/22/2005 5:07:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Very nice ggllggll , Thx for sharing this !
Link Posted: 4/23/2005 6:40:10 AM EDT
[#23]
Strong work!
Link Posted: 4/23/2005 11:34:00 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Good,

Thanks fro sharing your work and taking time getting pics.

+1 i think my shotgun needs a new sling!
Link Posted: 4/23/2005 1:13:17 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

In the pacific northwest, REI co-op has all the stuff.

Elswhere, anyone who makes climbing harnesses has the supplies.

Online:  Strapworks sells all the bits, as well.
Link Posted: 4/23/2005 3:13:57 PM EDT
[#26]
ggllggll, thank you for sharing this info.

I just finished making a sling according to your instructions and installed it to my SakoM92S rifle.

Bits and pieces for sling cost me 12 Euros (15,6$) which I consider to be a good price for such a sling.

First impression after installation: How on earth I have managed before I had this sling!!!

This sling allows me much more degrees of freedom to carry and use my rifle than plain jane "official issue" sling does.

If I can find a good photo server from web I'll post pics of my setup later, if you are willing to see it.
(Yeah, I know that this is AR15 forum but there is a black rifle mentioned later in this post hat
I wish that they can get the paperwork sorted out as soon as possible.
Link Posted: 4/23/2005 4:25:07 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

I made this today.  It rocks!

I initially went to Joann Etc. They only had 1" supplies, but the buckles and slides were more expensive and lower quality than the ones at Ace.

I made this for an AR with a 20" barell and A2 buttstock, so I need to add another 12-18" to the main sling. I found the 5" strap had to be longer, about 7" to work as designed.  In the end, I eliminated this strap and the forward-facing buckle, since I'll never go left handed.  My adapted setup is below.  The strap on the upper left goes over the shoulder, the strap on the lower left goes to the stock, and the strap to the right goes to the front sight block.

I have two questions I was hoping to get some feedback on:

1. I ran the front loop through the front sight.  During carry it hangs beautifully from the rear/diagonal portion of the sight.  At the shoulder, it falls out of the way.  Does anyone forsee a problem with this?

2. Since I have an A2 buttstock, the standard sling point is at the bottom.  Hooking it up there causes the rifle to hang upside down.  I tried to come up with a cheek side or top hanging point with minimal success.  Is there some way of rigging the stock so it hangs better?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/23/2005 5:42:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Great sling, but neither Ace, nor Home Depot, nor Lowes, nor Naughton's (a local hardware outlet) had any of the materials necessary.

Hmm....

I'm going to have to keep looking.
Link Posted: 4/23/2005 8:48:45 PM EDT
[#29]
You can get all the stuff needed to make two of these @ strapworks for under $14. And they have Poly webbing in OD.
Sweet!

ETA: I noticed someone already mentioned strapworks.
Link Posted: 4/23/2005 8:52:55 PM EDT
[#30]
You can modify the design to have the sling wrap around the butt-stock and use a second strap to keep it tight with the butt plate.  Like a "T."  

Looks great BTW!!!!!

Quoted:

Quoted:

I made this today.  It rocks!

I initially went to Joann Etc. They only had 1" supplies, but the buckles and slides were more expensive and lower quality than the ones at Ace.

I made this for an AR with a 20" barell and A2 buttstock, so I need to add another 12-18" to the main sling. I found the 5" strap had to be longer, about 7" to work as designed.  In the end, I eliminated this strap and the forward-facing buckle, since I'll never go left handed.  My adapted setup is below.  The strap on the upper left goes over the shoulder, the strap on the lower left goes to the stock, and the strap to the right goes to the front sight block.

i4.photobucket.com/albums/y126/von_landstuhl/sling.jpg

I have two questions I was hoping to get some feedback on:

1. I ran the front loop through the front sight.  During carry it hangs beautifully from the rear/diagonal portion of the sight.  At the shoulder, it falls out of the way.  Does anyone forsee a problem with this?

2. Since I have an A2 buttstock, the standard sling point is at the bottom.  Hooking it up there causes the rifle to hang upside down.  I tried to come up with a cheek side or top hanging point with minimal success.  Is there some way of rigging the stock so it hangs better?

Thanks!

Link Posted: 4/23/2005 11:04:55 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
You can modify the design to have the sling wrap around the butt-stock and use a second strap to keep it tight with the butt plate.  Like a "T."  

Yeah, I tried that.  It looks like the commercial 3-point fixture on the buttstock, but is slides up and down.  I'm going to try sewing things in place tomorrow.
Link Posted: 4/23/2005 11:27:02 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

They had 1" and 2" webbing, no 1 1/2", and didn't have all the buckles needed.

One local ACE only had the 1" stuff, but their other (bigger) store had the required material. Cost me $17 though. Prices I guess are higher here.

Only thing I'd change is make that 5" piece a little longer, maybe 8 or 12, and once you have it all together, put the seams through a sewing machine to make sure they don't come undone. I put it together as stated, but it kept pulling apart while shouldered and moving around.  
Link Posted: 4/24/2005 1:20:42 AM EDT
[#33]
tagged

my kid needs one of these for his airsoft skirmishes.
Link Posted: 4/24/2005 6:15:37 AM EDT
[#34]
tag
Link Posted: 4/24/2005 10:56:26 AM EDT
[#35]
tagged
Link Posted: 4/24/2005 12:08:29 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
You can get all the stuff needed to make two of these @ strapworks for under $14. And they have Poly webbing in OD.
Sweet!

ETA: I noticed someone already mentioned strapworks.

I just ordered all the stuff from Strapworks for $11.40, shipped.  I'll get it in about a week.

I tried Ace, Home Depot, Lowe's, Naughton's, and Popular Outdoor Outfitters.  Popular had some buckles, but no webbing.  Nobody else had anything.
Link Posted: 4/24/2005 12:15:13 PM EDT
[#37]
Thanks for the thread, great info.  I'll try and get the stuff this week and build one.

Nick
Link Posted: 4/24/2005 5:49:53 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, I tried that.  It looks like the commercial 3-point fixture on the buttstock, but is slides up and down.  I'm going to try sewing things in place tomorrow.

I would like some pictures if you can figure out how to make this work...

Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/24/2005 6:14:23 PM EDT
[#39]
This is so tagged! I've just gotten a few Mamba slings, and I really like them-- especially the elastic bungie, lets the piece ride smoother at full load and allows a nasty "barrel thump"-- but I have more rifles than I have tac'slings, and this will fill the bill nicely! Thanks a million, ggllggll.

Herr von Landstuhl, I used to run my slings through the front sight stilt-- now when I do it I use a double loop of 550 cord that puts the sling about six to eight inches off the stilt-- it allows more drop for the sling to clear the sight.

ETA: SakoM92S, welcome to the Boards! I doubt anyone here will snivel about Sakos. Hope your Rock River is in your hands soon!
Link Posted: 4/24/2005 7:22:09 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
I used to run my slings through the front sight stilt-- now when I do it I use a double loop of 550 cord that puts the sling about six to eight inches off the stilt-- it allows more drop for the sling to clear the sight.

Do you mean the slit under the gas tube pin?  I was going to do that, but i wasn't sure if I was risking a melted sling from a hot barrel.

In this setup, the 1" webbing is flexible enough to serve the same purpose as your cord.
Link Posted: 4/24/2005 7:45:23 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

This is what I came up with.  It works in "backpack carry" mode, so I guess it's a success.

Link Posted: 4/24/2005 8:13:14 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks!

Here's a picture I drew for you but since someone beat me to it, doesnt matter any more.  They had the right idea.  However since I put so much time into the pic, I'll show it anyway

Link Posted: 4/24/2005 9:40:24 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I used to run my slings through the front sight stilt-- now when I do it I use a double loop of 550 cord that puts the sling about six to eight inches off the stilt-- it allows more drop for the sling to clear the sight.

Do you mean the slit under the gas tube pin?  I was going to do that, but i wasn't sure if I was risking a melted sling from a hot barrel.

In this setup, the 1" webbing is flexible enough to serve the same purpose as your cord.

I just go through the upper part of the stilt. I got the idea from old photos of the action in the A Shau Valley. It works very well indeed with the black "silent sling"-- two turns around the buttstock through the sling swivel, and a double loop through the stilt of appropriate length. (Seems to me that if you get too low you run a small risk of melting the cord to the barrel-- very smelly at least.) As soon as I get off my butt and get a photo hoster I'll post a picture.
Link Posted: 4/25/2005 4:19:48 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Here's a picture I drew for you but since someone beat me to it, doesnt matter any more.  They had the right idea.  However since I put so much time into the pic, I'll show it anyway

matt1234.home.bresnan.net/slingsling.JPG

Thanks guys, now I know what you ment!

P.S. Sweat drawing...
Link Posted: 4/25/2005 3:31:14 PM EDT
[#45]
tag
Link Posted: 4/26/2005 6:05:25 AM EDT
[#46]
Excuse my computer ignorance, but can anyone tell me how to resize this page so it will print properly?
Link Posted: 4/26/2005 6:15:23 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Excuse my computer ignorance, but can anyone tell me how to resize this page so it will print properly?

open up explorer and go....
Tools>Internet Options
click on the last tab "Advanced"
under Multimedia select "enable automatic image resizing"
if it is not checked it will print actual size pics
i think that will work but not positive
Link Posted: 4/26/2005 11:12:39 AM EDT
[#48]
Thanks for the info, but I already had that checked.
Link Posted: 4/26/2005 1:24:59 PM EDT
[#49]
click here to view the PDF file....  matt1234.home.bresnan.net/Tac%20Sling.pdf

Matt

Quoted:

Link Posted: 4/26/2005 7:50:30 PM EDT
[#50]
Matt, you da man!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 9
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top