Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/16/2005 1:48:02 AM EDT
My RRA 2-stage trigger pins seem too large in diameter for the
holes on my Stag lower.

Am I supposed to grease them and they will push through
like the instructions say?

Should the holes be bored out a little bit?

thanks in advance
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 1:57:29 AM EDT
[#1]
The pins are .001" oversize on purpose.  The pins are very tight even in RRA lowers. This prevents them from rotating and walking out. Just lube them well and use a small punch to drive them in. Preferably take a plastic punch or something like that so you don't accidentally scratch your receiver.

Don't do anything to the holes on the receiver, otherwise you will not be able to use standard pins anymore, they will be too loose. This is important, since the oversized pins will not always work properly with other triggers. If you ever decide to get something in place of the RRA 2-stage, you'd be screwed if you had enlarged the holes on the receiver.
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 3:05:37 AM EDT
[#2]
hit it with a hammer!!

but lightly
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 3:35:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 6:56:28 AM EDT
[#4]
I don't like them. It ruins the lower for use with any standard pins. I use the original pins with the RR trigger.

They are supposed to prevent the pins from spinning. I don't have that problem to begin with, or if I do, it is so minor that I don't notice.

Spinning trigger pins are supposed to hurt trigger pull quality. Unless they are spinning like second hands, I doubt you'll notice.
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 9:39:22 AM EDT
[#5]
KY Jelly?
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 11:03:37 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I don't like them. It ruins the lower for use with any standard pins.

That is not correct.  I have switched back and forth.  A .001 oversize does not have any major effect on the hole.... and standard pins are held in place with the pring legs and jpins... so even if it did open them up a bit, it would have no effect on the function of standard pins.

How does it ruin them?
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 12:23:59 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
How does it ruin them?

The RR pins I measured were more like .002" over. They enlarge the hole. If you didn't have a problem with the pins spinning before using the RR pins, you will afterward (unless you keep using the RR pins).

The holes are annodized and very hard. The RR pins can compromise the anodizing. That's a good way to get excessive wear of the holes.

Even if you disagree with the above or poo-poo the reasoning, unless you have oversized holes to begin with, the RR pins gain you nothing and only offer a possible downside. Why do it? That's just stupid.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 3:20:48 PM EDT
[#8]
I just posted this for someone else about a week ago.  I put RRA 2-stage triggers in 2 Bushmasters.  Miked the pins, stock pins were .154", RRA pins are .156".  A 5/32" drill bit is .156", so I carefully used the drill bit to ream the receiver holes.  Took great care to make sure the drill went straight through and didn't wobble.  I used to be a machinist, so I have a little more confidence with this type of thing than the average person.  Worked great, nice tight push fit on the pins.

I would not use the RRA trigger and hammer with the .154" pins.  I'm sure the parts were designed to work with the larger pins.  Extra clearance on the pivot pins could mess up the trigger action.

Kind of irritating that RRA doesn't mention this issue in the directions that come with the 2-stage triggers.  I'm very pleased with the end result though.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 3:49:04 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I just posted this for someone else about a week ago.  I put RRA 2-stage triggers in 2 Bushmasters.  Miked the pins, stock pins were .154", RRA pins are .156".  A 5/32" drill bit is .156", so I carefully used the drill bit to ream the receiver holes.  Took great care to make sure the drill went straight through and didn't wobble.  I used to be a machinist, so I have a little more confidence with this type of thing than the average person.  Worked great, nice tight push fit on the pins.I would not use the RRA trigger and hammer with the .154" pins.  I'm sure the parts were designed to work with the larger pins.  Extra clearance on the pivot pins could mess up the trigger action.

Kind of irritating that RRA doesn't mention this issue in the directions that come with the 2-stage triggers.  I'm very pleased with the end result though.

The RRA oversize pins are not meant to be "push fit", they are meant to be tight. (1) so they don't rotate in the receiver (2) they keep the trigger and hammer nice and tight with no wobble.  These are meant to be installed with a punch.  

You just ruined your receiver by drilling out the FCG holes and removing the protective hardcoat anodizing.  I feel sorry for you when your hammer pin rotates and eventually makes the pin hole even more oversized or worse...........egg shaped.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 4:39:16 PM EDT
[#10]
So are you guys saying I might have a problem because the RRA pins slipped right into my Oly lower with 1500 rds on it??

Oh well, I don't really give a hoot.

They wouldn't fit in my RRA lower (even after a few taps with a plastic-faced hammer)

After I figured they wouldn't fit, I put the standard ones in with the NM trigger and they worked great.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 7:41:13 PM EDT
[#11]
You're not going to "tap" a .156" pin into a hole that is even .001" smaller.  Even size on size is a very tight fit.  If the .156 pins tap in, the holes were oversize already.  I didn't try to measure the hole size before reaming, but I'll bet they were just a hair over .154", as the original pins were a slip fit.  Of course if you "tap" hard enough on the .156" pins, you will enlarge the holes in the aluminum receiver.  Something has to give.  You're just using the pin as a crude reamer to make a fit.  IMO, I'd rather use some finesse and make sure the hole is the right size for the pin before beating on things.

I'd be willing to bet the NM pins are made .002" over standard to compensate for sloppy original equipment holes.

I'm not worried about compromising the receiver in any way by reaming the pin holes.  The trigger and hammer rotate on the pins.  The pins should not be rotating in the receiver.  They shouldn't walk out either if the tail of the spring is in the groove.  The fit of the pins is as good or better than it was originally.
Link Posted: 3/18/2005 3:12:39 AM EDT
[#12]
If your pins are a really loose fit, the hammer pin atleast will rotate in your receiver, check it out.  It does that because of the tension from hammer spring, the hammer is pressing against the pin so it's easier for the pin to move in a loose receiver than for the hammer to rotate on the pin.  If your pins fit tight into your receiver then the pins will not rotate.  It's as simple as that.  
Link Posted: 3/18/2005 3:46:32 AM EDT
[#13]
I had just removed a RRA 2 stage trigger unit & oversized pins out of my RRA lower and put in a JP single stage trigger group with standard pins.  The JP trigger functioned just fine without any problems
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top