Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/15/2005 6:46:46 AM EDT
I'm looking to build my 2nd AR.  Last one was a built-by-me lower and a RRA upper.  This time I want to make my own upper from components I select, so it'll be the way I want when done.

Anyhow - looking at Armalite to supply the bbl.  I want the 20" chrome-moly bbl, chrome lined with gas block.  My question is they show in the pic on their website that the forward handguard attachment point is installed.  I want to use a free-float tube.  Can I simply remove this part?  I gather the gas block has to come off, how difficult is this?
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 8:06:51 AM EDT
[#1]
What "forward handguard attachment" are you referring to?  Railed gas block, maybe?

Assuming it's the gas block then not only can it be removed but you will have to remove it no matter which free-float tube you select because the barrel nut won't fit over it.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 8:26:55 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I want the 20" chrome-moly bbl, chrome lined with gas block.  

Under this forum up top are some very good "How To Do It" threads suggest ya check them out, they have great pics and details on the tools you'll need etc......

Ya might also check into barrels, 'cus you can have a chrome-moly barrel, stainless steel barrel or a chrome-line barrel, IIRC these are the 3 types Armalite sells, suspect your confused over the difference between chrome-moly and chrome-lined.

Mike
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 9:01:02 AM EDT
[#3]
The A1 and A2 handguards attach to the rifle at two points. One point is the the spring-loaded retainer ring on the upper receiver.  The other is just behind the gas block (behind being towards the shooter from the muzzle) or sight base.  It is a piece of stamped steel, apparently.

I want to know if I can safely remove this from any given setup, or if I'll run into a spacing / other issue?

The thing is the Armalite barrel I'm interested in is shown as having this stamped steel part on it.  I want to take it off.  Will this cause any problems?  I'm going to have a free-float tube or 4-rail setup on the rifle so I shouldn't need it - in fact all it could do is get in the way...

I've read many, many threads on this subject - it's not covered or I missed it (very possible).  I think it's just assumed you take the thing off and relegate it to the parts pile but again I'm not sure.

EDIT!

After reading through the float install guide again it's not there.  It's not really covered and I do see a small gap but I guess I'll have to live with that.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 9:02:59 AM EDT
[#4]
BTW - I'm not confused on the chrome issue at all.  I'm a long time shooter but this is my first from-scratch AR-15 build.  Thanks for mentioning it though.  That really doesn't matter for this discussion (unless there's something real odd I don't know about) - the bbl could be stainless steel and the handguard retainer would still be in my way :)
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 11:05:50 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
The A1 and A2 handguards attach to the rifle at two points. One point is the the spring-loaded retainer ring on the upper receiver.  The other is just behind the gas block (behind being towards the shooter from the muzzle) or sight base.  It is a piece of stamped steel, apparently.

I want to know if I can safely remove this from any given setup, or if I'll run into a spacing / other issue?

Ahh, now I've got you.  That part is the "handguard cap" and yes it can be removed.  Probably should be removed because many float tubes won't fit with it in place.  It doesn't have any impact on function.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 12:03:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks - that's what I figured but wanted a second point of view.  You know sometimes stuff like that provides the additional space / clearance that something else requires.  In this case I didn't want the gas block to not line up with the gas orifice or something.  That'd be lotsa fun - cycling issues from lower pressure or something - and I'd probably NEVER find the problem...
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 2:45:58 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Thanks - that's what I figured but wanted a second point of view.  You know sometimes stuff like that provides the additional space / clearance that something else requires.  In this case I didn't want the gas block to not line up with the gas orifice or something.  That'd be lotsa fun - cycling issues from lower pressure or something - and I'd probably NEVER find the problem...

The gas lock/front sight base is completly held in place by its own pins or set screws.  The only thing that the cap can be helpful for is if you're trying to line up a gas block that uses set screws and doesn't have any index markings to line it up on the gas port.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top