Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/14/2005 5:02:56 PM EDT
Which type buffer will work with a M16 buttstock?
I bought a set of M16 furniture from EE and have an A2 buffer, but when I pull the charging handle
back the bolt won't clear the mag.
Do I need a different buffer?
I hope this makes sense.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 5:16:54 PM EDT
[#1]
No, it doesn't make much sense, but I think I can decipher it.    You bought a set of vietnam era furniture with the shorter stock and triangular handguards and used the rifle length buffer, buffer spring and receiver extension (which is all correct BTW), but used the buttstock screw for an A2 stock which is too long to use with the older, shorter furniture and is preventing the bolt from opening all the way.  

Did I get that right?
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 5:22:37 PM EDT
[#2]
I'll buy that, now where can I find the right size screw?
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 6:09:45 PM EDT
[#3]
I'd just cut off the one you have.  Should be about 1/2" worth of threads.  I'm overseas in M4/M16A2 land.  Somebody with an A1 will chime in with the right thread length I'm sure.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 6:34:12 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I'd just cut off the one you have.  Should be about 1/2" worth of threads.  I'm overseas in M4/M16A2 land.  Somebody with an A1 will chime in with the right thread length I'm sure.

Easiest and cheapest is to cut the one you have in roughy the middle of the threaded section.  I keep a few around and just throw a few of them into an order from Brownells.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 9:29:36 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I'll buy that, now where can I find the right size screw?

noedge515,
IM or Email me your address I can send you one. I actually have one listed in the EE for $3 shipped I think. Thanks Arvin
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 11:20:35 AM EDT
[#6]
You need to cut 5/8" off of your A2 screw.  I did this on mine and it works fine.  I ran a die down the threads after I cut it, but it probably isn't absolutely necessary.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 12:08:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks to all that replied, I cut it  down and
it works.  Shot it this am and it's perfect!
Thanks again
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top