Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/14/2005 12:54:24 PM EDT
I'll let the picture do the talking here.

This is the one AR that they will have to pry from my cold dead fingers. Colt AR15A2, Sporter II, 16" lightweight Oly barrel. Shoots and runs like a champ.

So, whadda ya think of the leather wrap? Cool....or Gay?

Link Posted: 3/14/2005 1:02:39 PM EDT
[#1]
I would say that if you were going for that retro, Native American look, you achieved it.  My gut feeling is that the hanging leather would irritate me after awhile and feeling the leather straps on the handguards would also.  That's just me, though.

If it works for you, then go with it.  There's no reason at all to go with what works for you, regardless of popular opinion here.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 3:35:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Maybe a couple of eagle feathers hanging off the stock .

Lose the leather. Is that a yellow piece of t-shirt under the leather, or a ballon? Nice rifle though, looks like a real light-weight contender. Keep it clean. That's my vote.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 4:38:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Well, that's deerskin wrapping the forearm, and a leather thong wrapping it on. I was going for the native look, but I'm as much an Indian as Ward Churchill is. (Colorado humor). Anyway, I just did it for grins. I thought about the feather though!
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 4:53:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Add the feathers and take another pic. It may look pretty cool.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 5:19:44 PM EDT
[#5]
It looks neat, but unless you poked some holes in the top and bottom that match the vent holes in the handguard I'd say that 'cool' is not the right word for it.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 5:37:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Top row of holes is open, it's laced up there like a shoelace. Bottom iholes are closed over though. I don't shoot it rapid often enough to have a problem, but I suppose that overheating is still a possibility!
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 6:15:30 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Top row of holes is open, it's laced up there like a shoelace. Bottom iholes are closed over though. I don't shoot it rapid often enough to have a problem, but I suppose that overheating is still a possibility!

When I was in the army, we cut socks, and slid them over the foregrips for snow camouflage.  Never once had a problem with a weapon overheating caused by a foregrip wrap.

Personally, if the yellowish leather feels nice to you, and looks good to you - then hey - more power.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 6:31:54 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

When I was in the army, we cut socks, and slid them over the foregrips for snow camouflage.  Never once had a problem with a weapon overheating caused by a foregrip wrap.

Personally, if the yellowish leather feels nice to you, and looks good to you - then hey - more power.

Socks will allow some air to flow through, more than leather.  Besides, if you needed snow camo then the ambient temp was probably low enough to dissipate the heat in short order.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 7:01:58 PM EDT
[#9]
HELLO SAYLOR!!
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 8:23:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Why do I feel the urge to sing Y-M-C-A?

Seriously, folks, go with what works for you.  Though, I will say that there should be some matching leather on the buttstock to maintain the Fung Schway.  It looks out of balance.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 11:34:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Looks cool.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 11:43:37 AM EDT
[#12]
if you want too go retro you got to do it big.
leather sling, brass tacks on the butt stock, white hand painted on the left side (liket they painted horses before battle).

this could look cool  

ed to say swap the leather for rawhide and also do a rawhide pistol grip.

Link Posted: 3/15/2005 12:10:54 PM EDT
[#13]
If you own a motorcycle I would have to bet you got lots o fringe!!

Link Posted: 3/15/2005 12:42:44 PM EDT
[#14]
HK, You're right, I should move on with the project. Your suggestions are right on the money. I have to find a way to put brass tacks on the CAR buttstock! I'll work on this and get back to you.

I've never been to the Cody Firearms Musuem in Wyoming, but I understand they have the largest collection of American Indian Firearms in the country. I keep saying I'll ride my streetbike up there some summer and check it out, maybe this is the year, and I can get some ideas for this Native American Assault Rifle Retro Project.

H-Mac, here's a picture of me on my bike. No fringe, it whips in the wind and scares the monkey.

Link Posted: 3/15/2005 2:41:32 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Though, I will say that there should be some matching leather on the buttstock to maintain the Fung Schway.  It looks out of balance.

Could be an interesting alternative to the foam on an Ace stock...
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top