Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/14/2005 9:03:18 AM EDT
Will a 20" 1:9 stabilize the heavier (77gr?) projectiles?  Will it over-twist 45gr at 3500+fps?  I'd like to shoot Winny white box for plinking fun but also be able to deer hunt (223 is legal here for our dog-sized deer).  If there's a better, lighter bullet for hunting bigger critters I'd like to know what it is, where I can get it and whether or not I can stabilize it, if not what DO I need for twist?
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 10:41:20 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Will a 20" 1:9 stabilize the heavier (77gr?) projectiles?

Not likely.

Will it over-twist 45gr at 3500+fps?

Absolutely not.  Most overstabilization is myth.  If it doesnt fly apart, then it shoots.  Might be be "as accurate" but is nothing compared to failure to stabilize.  My 1:8 twist shoots 45grainers at 3500fps plus into very tight groups.

I'd like to shoot Winny white box for plinking fun but also be able to deer hunt (223 is legal here for our dog-sized deer).  If there's a better, lighter bullet for hunting bigger critters I'd like to know what it is, where I can get it and whether or not I can stabilize it, if not what DO I need for twist?

The winny white box varmint does great in a 1:9....  and is great for plinking and varmints.  I would not use it on deer, however... as the bullt will fragment violently with very little penetration.  That will likely work great on a direct heart/lung shot, as long as you have a clear broadside shot and dont hit any ribs/bone/thick muscle on the way in.  If it did, your results could be very unpredictable with such a light round.  For deer with an AR I would choose the Winshester 64gr power point which will also work well in your 1:9 twist.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 10:44:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Was just looking at those.  It looks like 1:9's the twist I need to specify for what I'm doing.

Now for the rest of the project....
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top