Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/11/2005 12:24:41 PM EDT
I just received my dissipator barrel from Bushmaster today and noticed that the handguard cap is very loose.  It has a roll pin attaching it to the FSB (the roll pin is sticking out over 1/4"), but it still wiggles so much that I can almost pull it off the roll pin and slide it down to the gas block.  I called BM to see what they suggested and the rep said that once I put the handguards on it will be good and tight.  I have never seen a barrel with a loose handguard cap and do not fancy the idea of everytime I replace the handguards, having to chase the cap around.  Should I hammer the roll pin in more to try to tighten it up?  Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Link Posted: 3/11/2005 3:39:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Normal but a hassle, if you don't like the cap wandering try some red loc-tite or super glue. If the roll pin in gas tube hole is bottomed out, try flaring the end out with a center punch to retain the end cap.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 9:48:12 AM EDT
[#2]
You've never seen a loose handguard cap before because most barrels have a a raised section behind the FSB that holds the barrel cap against the FSB.  You can't do that on a Dissy because a raised section would make it impossible to slide the shaved gas block into place.

I believe the roll pin is simply inserted into the useless gas tube hole in the FSB.  You could use vise grips to pull it out then tap the hole and use a screw to hold the cap tightly to the FSB.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top