Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/9/2005 6:33:11 PM EDT
Hi,
I was wondering has anyone here built an AR15 pistol that fires 9mm? I am thinking about doing this but I just wanted to know if anyone has and if they have pictures. I am really thinking about doing this since 5.56 out of a 7.5" barrel doesn't appeal to me. Thanks Arvin
Link Posted: 3/9/2005 6:37:56 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Hi,
I was wondering has anyone here built an AR15 pistol that fires 9mm? I am thinking about doing this but I just wanted to know if anyone has and if they have pictures. I am really thinking about doing this since 5.56 out of a 7.5" barrel doesn't appeal to me. Thanks Arvin

That's a decent idea!!
Link Posted: 3/9/2005 8:45:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah,
I was thinking the other day that I want an AR pistol but the fireball and lack of barrel for a 223 round to travel down didn't sound like a good idea but if Colt and Rock River make9mm carbines, Why isn't there anyone making 9mm AR pistols. It would make for a neat pistol to use in falling plate or bowling pin matches. Thanks Arvin
Link Posted: 3/9/2005 8:49:52 PM EDT
[#3]
You can get 33 round mags for a GLOCK.
Link Posted: 3/9/2005 9:22:18 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

And in a smaller package too then a 9mm AR pistol.....

Granted, if you have a pistol lower using a carbine buffer already, guess you can have a barrel made or one hacked shorter....
Link Posted: 3/9/2005 11:00:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Combat Jack,
Sorry I am not a Glock person, they just don't feel right to me. I have heard that there are 30 round magazines for the USP 9 but they are not available yet.

Kaliburz,
  I found a place that makes 9mm AR15 barrels that are 4" to 8" long for 125 and that is what got me thinking. Otherwise I would just buy a RRA 9mm carbine and short barrel it.  Thanks for the input. Arvin
Link Posted: 3/9/2005 11:31:56 PM EDT
[#6]
i've been saying this for a while

eveyone razes me about it, telling me to get the glock
Link Posted: 3/10/2005 6:59:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Hey, I own a Glock, but that doesn't stop me from being interested in a 9mm AR pistol.  I think it's a neat idea.

Falls under, "Wow, wouldn't it be neat to make..."

Panz
Link Posted: 3/10/2005 7:37:42 AM EDT
[#8]
I have 30 rounders for Taurus PT92, Beretta M9 and Browning Hi-Power.
As for making a 9mm AR pistol, it should be a piece of cake, no gas system, just cut the barrel as short as you want, then crown it, or thread it.
Link Posted: 3/10/2005 8:27:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Note that you can't use the standard "pistol buffer" with a colt 9mm setup because the back of the colt 9mm bolt isn't hollow.  Oly may be a different story.  

I built one of these so I had a place to put my short 9mm upper when I take it off my M16A1.  Works great with a carbine length buffer tube.

Joe
Link Posted: 3/10/2005 8:28:17 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I have 30 rounders for Taurus PT92, Beretta M9 and Browning Hi-Power.
As for making a 9mm AR pistol, it should be a piece of cake, no gas system, just cut the barrel as short as you want, then crown it, or thread it.

Real_estate_salesman,
No need to cut and crown a barrel. Just need to select and install from these guys. The barrel is part way down the page and comes in either standard profile or heavy and also comes in lengths from 4" to 8". This is how I got the naughty idea. Well that and the fact that HK SP89s are very pricey too.

NH_Joe,
 I would use a carbine buffer since I would be going for reliability. Thanks Arvin
Link Posted: 3/10/2005 9:25:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Sounds interesting.  I had some money set aside for another gun, but I haven't heard back from the guy in a few days.  I no longer have a Oly 9mm, but I'd like to build a companion for my Oly 40 cal.
Link Posted: 3/10/2005 9:27:00 AM EDT
[#12]
the idea sounds good... but isn't the crappy part magazine blocks, and magazine selections?????

Link Posted: 3/10/2005 11:39:47 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

If you take a look at Olympic's Glock mag guns may be they would sell you just the Glock mag lower?  Interchangable mags Hummm....
Link Posted: 3/10/2005 6:02:34 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
the idea sounds good... but isn't the crappy part magazine blocks, and magazine selections?????

Trekryder,
I would go with the Colt or RRA 9mm setup. I think then the magazine selections wouldn't be really bad. But who knows. Thanks Arvin
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 12:50:05 AM EDT
[#15]
Go with a setup that lets you use the modified sten or the UZI mags. Cheaper than the glock mags and a heck of a lot more plentiful.

I've been looking to do the same thing. Maaybe that's why I ordered that AR pistol lower.
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 1:14:40 AM EDT
[#16]
The nice thing about the Glock route is that a lot of people already have a bunch of Glock mags.  Also, the 33rd G18 mags aren't anywhere near as expensive as they use to be.  The NIW G18 mag I bought
recently was like $29.99.  Prolly 2x or 3x (4x? I'm actually clueless on this) as much as Uzi/Sten mags
but not outragous for a new, quality mag.  

They might look funny, though.  Wouldn't they have to be angled about like the grip to feed correctly?

Just a thought.
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 5:47:46 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
The nice thing about the Glock route is that a lot of people already have a bunch of Glock mags.  Also, the 33rd G18 mags aren't anywhere near as expensive as they use to be.  The NIW G18 mag I bought
recently was like $29.99.  Prolly 2x or 3x (4x? I'm actually clueless on this) as much as Uzi/Sten mags
but not outragous for a new, quality mag.  

They might look funny, though.  Wouldn't they have to be angled about like the grip to feed correctly?

Just a thought.

Rose,
I would go the Glock route but I just don't like them since I am an HK man. I have never shot a Glock but just holding one I didn't like how it felt, plus the lack of a manual safety bothers me. As for what magazines I would use. I would go with the modified Sten magazines. Since I know I can find Sten magazines easily and they are not expensive. I think I will have to start rounding up parts next month to start this project. All I need is a flat top upper, lower, barrel, FF handguard, charging handle and the 9mm innards. Well when I get the build started. I will take photos and post them. Thanks Arvin
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 12:13:16 PM EDT
[#18]
A 9mm AR is a great CQB rifle.  A 9mm AR pistol is just stupid.
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 12:18:56 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Well, thanks for your useful input.  Are you aware that you're not on the GD board?
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 3:27:44 PM EDT
[#20]
These folks list some interesting stuff, including 9mm and 45ACP complete AR pistols.  Looks like maybe they're not making them just yet...could be worth a looksy.

SNS Industries, Inc.
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 10:47:04 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
These folks list some interesting stuff, including 9mm and 45ACP complete AR pistols.  Looks like maybe they're not making them just yet...could be worth a looksy.

sns industries

please dont post that link rose if you need more info contact JAFO
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 12:44:06 AM EDT
[#22]
Here's a mag block adaptor that let's you use unmodified Sten mags.

www.socommfg.com/9adapt.htm

I was thinking about this for a 9mm pistol build with the Ace tube.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 9:36:13 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

OK rocky,
Explain yourself? The reason I want to go with a 9mm instead of 223 is the simple fact I want something different, the 223 pistols don't appeal to me since I would think the ballistics wouldn't be the greatest. plus a rifle round in a pistol seems like a waste since the powder load is meant to push the bullet out of a longer barrel but ends up wasting powder. To me since a 9mm is a pistol round the AR15 pistol in 9mm makes sense to me. To you it may just be stupid but if you don't want to explain yourself then you can just go play with the other trolls. Everyone here has been informative and helpful and they are gonna get me in trouble because they are giving me more ideas.

Old Fart,
Thanks for the link that is what I will look into since I know I can get Sten mags easy enough.

Thanks All for the input keep it coming, your giving me great ideas. Thanks Arvin
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 9:36:53 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

sns industries

Why?  Who's JAFO?  I've never had any dealings with SNS, I just ran across their website.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 8:11:22 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

sns industries

Why?  Who's JAFO?  I've never had any dealings with SNS, I just ran across their website.

Link Posted: 3/12/2005 8:23:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top