Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/2/2005 9:01:53 AM EDT
Im getting ready to build an AR15 pistol. A few month ago I came across an add for a  coiled gas tube for the short 7" barrel,  Its selling point was the extra length helped retard the bolt unlocking (?)

Any one remember seeing one of these and do they realy work. If so who has them.
Link Posted: 3/2/2005 9:26:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Oly has them, they use them on their SBRs.
Link Posted: 3/2/2005 12:08:18 PM EDT
[#2]
m16 clinic has them also.. DEL-TON sells them as well.. my friend has one, that he uses reliably with his M1S buffer.   It works, but then again, he's lucky as shit.. kind of like the stoner that created lava lamps....In theory it's supposed to slow the cyclic rate, and lengthen the pressure curve of the the gas impluses.  

Link Posted: 3/2/2005 1:51:45 PM EDT
[#3]
I dropped a pigtail onto a 6.5" SBR.  It was reliable enough to dump all the brass into a 6" (or less) pile when I was firing from a kneeling position.
Link Posted: 3/2/2005 2:36:23 PM EDT
[#4]
well the thing is with SBR is that you have a shot loaded buffer... depending upon what type of buffer you use with your pistol you may not.. if you're planning on using a car tube, or the ace pistol buffer on your pistol you DON'T need the pigtail.. if you're going to play with the M1S buffer, I say get the pigtail... if you get the new M1S buffer, which is nothing more than a car tube and buffer, i would again say don't get the pigtail... the pigtails run around 70 - 90 bucks depending upon where you get them.. for about 110, you can get the entire bushmaster carbon 15 pistol buffer setup which myself and another member of this board have gotten to work flawlessly.
Link Posted: 3/2/2005 2:41:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Do the heavy buffers help prevent overfunction problems?  What about those tungsten carrier inserts?

edit:  I think my 7.5" upper with CAR length buffer might have an overfunction issue.  The extractor is ripping off case rims.  I'd like to find an easy fix.
Link Posted: 3/2/2005 3:38:39 PM EDT
[#6]
do you have oil in your chamber??
Link Posted: 3/2/2005 4:31:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Would the pigtails work to slow the cyclic rate of a standard M4, like if you had a mid-length gas system?  I was thinking this might be the way to go if you wanted the M4gery look but with a softer recoil impulse.

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 3/2/2005 4:57:52 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Do the heavy buffers help prevent overfunction problems?  What about those tungsten carrier inserts?

edit:  I think my 7.5" upper with CAR length buffer might have an overfunction issue.  The extractor is ripping off case rims.  I'd like to find an easy fix.

Contact CMMG about this.  I bought a DPMS Kitty Kat upper from them that had this problem also.  I sent it back and they replaced the barrel and no more problems.  You may have gotten a bad barrel like I did and that is what it will take to fix it.  I do not know exactly what the problem was with my barrel, too large a gas port, too small... but maybe CMMG can tell you what was wrong and give you some advice.  By the way, I am running the ACE CAR length tube and buffer.    
Link Posted: 3/2/2005 5:21:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Use dome molly D, Molly dednium Molecular lubricant on a few cases and run the mag to warm the barrel and chamber then lube a case with Molly D and let it sit in the chamber till she is cool. My machine shop used it as afreeing agent for tight tollerances, I swear by the stuff. Stopped my pistols chamber malfunctions.
Link Posted: 3/2/2005 7:45:24 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Contact CMMG about this.  I bought a DPMS Kitty Kat upper from them that had this problem also.  I sent it back and they replaced the barrel and no more problems.  You may have gotten a bad barrel like I did and that is what it will take to fix it.  I do not know exactly what the problem was with my barrel, too large a gas port, too small... but maybe CMMG can tell you what was wrong and give you some advice.  By the way, I am running the ACE CAR length tube and buffer.    

Thanks Big-Bore.  I've only run 200 or so rounds through it so I want to give it another try just to make sure it wasn't crud in the chamber or something.  If nothing improves on my second outing I'll definitely contact CMMG and see what they say.  I've noticed that their website dosen't mention Kitty Kat anymore.  They say CBEngineering Machined.  I'm not sure what that means.
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 11:34:26 PM EDT
[#11]
the reason they use the pigtail is if the gas hole is to small to recieve a regular tube
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 11:57:17 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
the reason they use the pigtail is if the gas hole is to small to recieve a regular tube

OK then.

Link Posted: 3/12/2005 12:15:36 AM EDT
[#13]
Took my 7 1/2" barreled pistol to the range for the first time this week.  Ran about 200 rds. through it without any problems.  Model 1 upper on a Stag lower with the Ace buffer.

What a blast!
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 2:25:39 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

This is an old wives tail...

You can open the gas port, but then you get a higher pressure impulse.  The pig tail allows a longer dwell time for the gas pressure to buil dupon and enables the bolt to unlock.  Opening the port can/will give you problems with short stroke or no stroke at all...

mark
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 7:27:15 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

OK then.

Link Posted: 3/12/2005 11:29:56 AM EDT
[#16]
I hope that the other 717 posts since January were anything like this one...

Link Posted: 3/12/2005 1:04:03 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

may your old wife.

but i actually asked the people that make them, Olympic Arms
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 3:26:25 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

may your old wife.

but i actually asked the people that make them, Olympic Arms

yeah?   who  did you talk to?  
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 3:41:13 PM EDT
[#19]
oly arms...lol...

if their advice is anything like my .45 upper made by them was, then you're in for trouble. lol..
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 5:30:14 PM EDT
[#20]
your .45 uppers user error

its andy, oly is the one who makes the pig tails so i guess they dont know their guns
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top