Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/10/2005 11:48:23 PM EDT
The AR platform has to be the most customizable gun on the planet. There are probably 38 different barrel configs, between the sizes, chromolly - chrome-lined - SS, different weights...

Is there an article or a FAQ on BBL choices? Would someone like to volunteer to tell me a little about compositions, profiles, and lengths/gas systems?
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 11:59:07 PM EDT
[#1]
get all of them.

i only stick to chromelined and stainless steel so that narrows down the list some.

majority of it depends on what your personal prefference is and what you would be using it for.
sooner or later you will end up trying to get all of them.   you watch and see
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 5:49:22 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
The AR platform has to be the most customizable gun on the planet. There are probably 38 different barrel configs, between the sizes, chromolly - chrome-lined - SS, different weights...

Is there an article or a FAQ on BBL choices? Would someone like to volunteer to tell me a little about compositions, profiles, and lengths/gas systems?

What do they do for me?  Put the bulwits down range.

I personally agree with the first guy and will stick to chromelined and SS for my barrels.  Then again, sometimes you can pick up those no-name chromemoly uppers at the show for a little bit of nothing and often times they shoot great.

There isn't really a FAQ for barrels.

There is so much to tell, you are going to have to narrow your question for me to even start to answer anything.  Something like...

What are your accuracy requirements?

How far out do you shoot and how often?

How heavy do you want the gun or how do you like the gun to handle?

Etc, etc, there are so many questions to ask about a barrel.  It really is the heart of every AR.  Pick your barrel and then everything else goes from there.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 5:53:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Generally the larger the diameter the more rounds you can put down range before heat debilitates accuracy.  I can’t give you specifics.  You don’t need a 2” bull barrel to shoot small groups.  Buy one from a quality manufacturer.  Seems like in this case quality is directly linked to price.    
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 9:11:21 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What do they do for me?  Put the bulwits down range.

I personally agree with the first guy and will stick to chromelined and SS for my barrels.  Then again, sometimes you can pick up those no-name chromemoly uppers at the show for a little bit of nothing and often times they shoot great.

There isn't really a FAQ for barrels.

There is so much to tell, you are going to have to narrow your question for me to even start to answer anything.  Something like...

What are your accuracy requirements?

How far out do you shoot and how often?

How heavy do you want the gun or how do you like the gun to handle?

Etc, etc, there are so many questions to ask about a barrel.  It really is the heart of every AR.  Pick your barrel and then everything else goes from there.

Thanks, guys - you're a real resource! Rifle's intended purpose - light, handy carbine. Some kind of red-dot sight for quick acquisition, BUIS if the SHTF and Koko the Gorilla over here smashes it.

My goal is to keep overall weight (uloaded) to about 7 lbs., and I want a BBL that's easy to clean. I don't like the collapsable buttstocks, as they move around too much for my tastes - changing cheek weld, etc., so I have bought a ARFX stock, Mega lower and upper (A3), and a LPK from Del-Ton (it's a CMT).

Was thinking about an M4 profile BBL, but don't know the advantages/disadvantages to getting one. Are they light? Heavy? Why the cut for the grenade launcher? Does it affect accuracy? Will a pencil barrel whip? How heavy is a H-BAR?

Oh, I plan on free-floating the BBL because I want all the accuracy a 16" gun can provide. I'm not hoping for MOA or anything, (not with my somewhat degraded vision; I used to be 20/15 ), just a good plinker that I could hand to a woman to shoot without it being a burden to carry.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 5:53:40 PM EDT
[#5]
A 16in barrel is not inheirently less accurate than a 20in barrel is.  Both from a quality manufacturer will shoot lights out.  I have a 6br in an 18in barrel that routienly shoots  .25in groups all day.  It is of course a Lilja barrel.   You will get a little more speed out of the 20in barrel and if you do not use a scope you will get a longer sight radius which might help accuracy some, but that is not related to the barrel. RG
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 6:09:13 PM EDT
[#6]
It sounds like a 16" gov't profile 1:9 Chrome lined 5.56 will do you fine.

Chrome Lined will last longer, and be easier to clean.
5.56mm chamber, because it will shoot .223 as well (.223 chamber does not like 5.56)
16" gives you the most compact non-NFA length without having to perm-attach muzzle devices.
Government Profile is thin underneath the handguards and reduces weight.
If you are not shooting matches and you are looking for a SHTF rifle, you DO NOT want the extra weight of a heavy barrel.

You do NOT need the m203 cut unless you are planning on mounting a flare or grenade launcher.

My M4 has the 203 cut because I could not find a 14.5" 1:7 without it. It shouldn't affect accuracy, but it IS a weak spot. Unless you are doing FA mag dumps you shouldn't have a problem either way.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 6:55:35 PM EDT
[#7]
You could get a lightweight pencil barrel.  They are a joy to swing.  Just as accurate as all the rest too, until you get one heated up.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 7:00:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Hot barrels are not less accurate than cold ones. It's just that the zero is different when hot.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 7:45:50 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Hot barrels are not less accurate than cold ones. It's just that the zero is different when hot.

Yeah, I suppose a debate could be made about that.  I'm sure that they could shoot quite well if you could make them stay at a constant 500 degrees.

For practical reasons...they are less accurate.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 9:38:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Once again, I am delighted at the quality of responses. I'm relly beginning to like ARFCOM, after my first crummy experience.

Nick
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top