Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/8/2005 8:18:02 PM EDT
I called a local gunsmith and he said he would charge 35$ for the threading BUT he would have to remove the barrel. And he said he'd have to charge me another 45$ to re-head space the barrel.

Would it really need to be redone? Or is he full of it? If so I would buy a wrench and take it off myself...because I am wanting a wrench anyways.

I just read the FAQ and I don't see how I would need to....then again I still don't fully understand it. How could removing a barrel effect the chamber depth and size?
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 8:25:57 PM EDT
[#1]
On an AR?  He is full of it.

Or at the very least dosen't know WTF he is doing.

I wouldn't take my AR to him.

Link Posted: 1/8/2005 8:47:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Removing a barrel does not affect headspace.  

Tell the guy you know he tried to rip you off and that you're finding another smith.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 8:53:43 PM EDT
[#3]
I had planned to ship it to ADCO. He said he would charge me $40 + shipping both ways. I think he usually charges more but he said he'd cut me a deal since I purchased the upper from him just after the ban. That is with the a2 flash hider too. I that Steve will do it right.

I may just buy another barrel. Maybe a m-4. Then maybe build another rifle off my barrel eventually. Probably something for all out accuracy.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 8:57:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Where are you in WV.  If you're at all close to the DC Metro area I can meet you at at he NRA Range in Fairfax VA and swap the barrel for you at no charge.  You only would need to check headspace if you were going to use a different bolt.  If using same bolt and same barrel headspace remains the same.  I do have a USGI Field gauge if you were using your old bolt with a new barrel.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 9:23:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Send it to me, I'll headspace it for you for 35
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 9:24:25 PM EDT
[#6]
I'd take you up on the offer but I live very west in WV. About 6.5 hours from Fairfax.

Would I have to reset headspace if I swap barrels? If I purchased a set of guages what else is involved in this?
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 9:32:03 PM EDT
[#7]
The bolt locks into the barrel. Use bolt and barrel from the same manufacturer preferably, although I have gotten by with some pretty wild combinations. OAI in LMT, Colt in OAI, DPMS in everything and everything in DPMS, etc. without problems.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 9:36:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Basically all your checking is if it'll close on a USGI Field gauge, if you're using your old bolt and a new barrel and it closes on a Field gauge.  You then would try a new bolt 99.9% of the time new bolts will headspace with new barrels.  99% of the time an old bolt will headspace with an new barrel or vice versa.  It's when you get into one the parts having like 10K rounds or more on it that much really wears to the point where they won't headspace.  If you want when you get the parts, you could send them to me and I'll do it free for you just charging you the return shipping.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 11:13:51 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I had planned to ship it to ADCO. He said he would charge me $40 + shipping both ways. I think he usually charges more but he said he'd cut me a deal since I purchased the upper from him just after the ban. That is with the a2 flash hider too. I that Steve will do it right.

I may just buy another barrel. Maybe a m-4. Then maybe build another rifle off my barrel eventually. Probably something for all out accuracy.

Send it to ADCO.  
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 12:46:37 AM EDT
[#10]
another +1 send it to adco
i thought you couldnt adjust headspace?
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 4:34:08 AM EDT
[#11]
The headspace on the barrel is set at the factory.  It does not change except with wear.  If your bolt headspaced okay before, it will headspace just the same when you reassemble it.  If you get another barrel it will have it's own headspace and if it's new should be fine.  If it's used and you are paranoid, you may want to check to see if your bolt headspaces to the new barrel.  Same goes for the bolt.  If you change the bolt you may want to see if it headspaces correctly with your barrel.  Unless you bolt or barrel are REALLY, REALLY, REALLY worn or one or the other were manufactured improperly chances are 99.999+ it will headspace just fine.  I check the headspace in my numerous bolts and barrels and they and every other one I check are fine.  There is always going to be the freak that pops up with bad headspace on rare occasion so some people still like to check.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 4:47:48 AM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for all the infor everyone. When he said that I was kinda worried. Because I have searched this board over and over for hours and I don't recall someone needing to rehead space after removing the barrel. I don't even see why he needs to remove the barrel. Probably wouldn't have...he probably would have left the barrel on and thread it then charge me for both.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 5:00:35 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I called a local gunsmith and he said he would charge 35$ for the threading BUT he would have to remove the barrel. And he said he'd have to charge me another 45$ to re-head space the barrel.

Would it really need to be redone? Or is he full of it? If so I would buy a wrench and take it off myself...because I am wanting a wrench anyways.

I just read the FAQ and I don't see how I would need to....then again I still don't fully understand it. How could removing a barrel effect the chamber depth and size?

This guy is either smoking crack and/or doesn't know what he is doing or is a ripoff artist.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 12:09:14 PM EDT
[#14]
I was being sarcastic...very very sarcastic.

No need to headspace the barrel, it will be just fine.

Your gunsmith is a moron.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 4:42:49 PM EDT
[#15]
(1)  He's unfamilar with the AR-15 and should not be working on yours.

(2)  He's familiar with the AR-15 and was ripping you off.

Either way, go elsewhere.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 6:25:19 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Buy the wrench. Take it off yourself, and take it to SOMEONE ELSE for threading. You're still using the same barrel and bolt, so there's absolutely no problem vis-a-vis headspace.

He is either ripping you off, or does not know enough about the M16/AR-15 to grub around on yours.

See above. And no, it does not need to be redone. The barrel extension stays on the barrel, and that is what sets the headspace. It does not come off unless you unscrew it on purpose, and doing that would royally fuck up your barrel. It's generally just not done, because it's usually less of a WOMBAT to simply buy a new barrel.

It doesn't. The barrel extension is set to a nominal headspace related to the nominal dimensions of a new bolt during manufacture. Once it's on, it never, ever gets messed with again, because the gas port and front sight block pins are all aligned with the barrel extension pin. The barrel extension is smooth and of uniform diameter on the outside, which slides into the front of the upper receiver. So essentially, the bolt locks into the barrel itself, for all practical purposes. That's how uppers can be made with aluminum and not steel, since the upper itself takes none of the chamber pressure when a round is fired. The barrel extension is, for all intents and purposes, married to the barrel.

If you ever need a new bolt down the road, just slap the sucker in and keep shooting. However, if you get a new barrel and want to use your old bolt, you might want to *check* the headspace with an headspace gauge to make sure your old bolt is not too worn out. If it is, simply use a new bolt with the new barrel, no need to check the headspace.

Some will say you should always check headspace when swapping barrels and/or bolts, just as a safety measure. This is probably a good idea, but it does not cost $45 to check headspace. If he wants to check headspace, he should not make you pay for the gauge, unless he gives it to you afterwards!

Edited to tone it down, a bit too harsh.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 7:40:25 PM EDT
[#17]
As posted I think the smith is just unfamiliar with AR's.  He's used to the majority of non-AR rifles like bolt guns that he would expect to have to adjust head space.  I don't think he is trying to sucker anyone (always a chance I suppose).

Just ask him exactly how he would adjust headspace and see what he says, there shouldn't be a valid answer.  If he really did have to adjust headspace, that meant the barrel was improperly manufactured (or worn) in the first place and adjusting it would be a beyatch since it requires replacing the barrel extension and that is a mother to get another extension that would line up properly, you can't just pick one out of a barrel (unless you are a lucky mofo) and expect it to work.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 8:05:07 PM EDT
[#18]
That's a possibility. But if he's not familiar with them, I don't know if I would want my rifle to be his test mule. God forbid he sticks the receiver in a vise and then tries to crank on the front sight block to "unscrew" the barrel...
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 9:11:35 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
If he wants to check headspace, he should not make you pay for the gauge, unless he gives it to you afterwards!

+1

I think I got my 5.56mm FIELD gauge for $35

Now i can be anal and check headspacing of every used rifle at the funshows.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 10:48:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 2:28:16 AM EDT
[#21]
OUr local GS made a jig for threading barrels you no longer have to remove the barrel from the upper.

I guess a lot of people have been getting this done to justfy the cost and time saving of making a jig.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 2:56:55 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I think he usually charges more but he said he'd cut me a deal since I purchased the upper from him just after the ban.

What ban???hock.gif
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 8:58:05 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I think he usually charges more but he said he'd cut me a deal since I purchased the upper from him just after the ban.

What ban???

??? Beats me.

I wish I would have been more patient and just got a no-ban upper. I had a lower on order so I wanted everything ASAP. Then it took me a month to get my lower....oh well. Its all good. I don't care about the bayo lug...I just want a damn flash hider.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 3:25:54 PM EDT
[#24]
I went and turned some old textbooks in for some money and sent my upper to ADCO. 52$ shipping and all. So hopefully I will have it back next week sometime.

Sucks...I could have just waited and got one with a flash hider and saved money. Oh well I guess. Live and learn.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top