Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/8/2005 4:25:03 PM EDT

I followed the GREAT advice of Stickman and a few others and this is where I am:

I took my time in degreasing several  times, including oven heating and cleaning again.

Then,  preheated all parts in the oven (in the basement ) to 175 F before carefully airbrushing each part and setting aside.

This is where I have a problem...

I want to assemble ( most of  ) the upper and the lower and respray with the Molyresin to evenly match the coating   ( I have already touched several parts w/non-gloved hands ) .

Can I/Do I clean the parts again with the degreaser after assembly ( carb cleaner ) before I respray ??

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated ..............

Thank's Guy's,

Steve

Link Posted: 1/8/2005 4:40:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Since you've touched it, I wouldn't recommend spraying them without degreasing.  However, any degreaser will likely remove the uncured moly resin.  My suggestion would be to bake the parts to cure the resin and then assemble them.  You'll probably find that it all matches upon assembly, but if not, then you can degrease and respray if you would like.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 5:06:32 PM EDT
[#2]
   Got it....    :)

Thank's again......

Stavros
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 5:20:40 PM EDT
[#3]
You might want to re-read the last sentence in my post.  
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 6:04:14 PM EDT
[#4]
dang,..that looks really good....did u do the barrel as well ?
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 6:15:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Bake it the way it is, do NOT reassemble it without it being cured.  You will not like the results.  In its current uncured state, it about about like Krylon, and you will scratch the finish.

Bake it, and once it is cured you can degrease it without any worries.  If I think there is any difference in texture, I will do the same thing and recoat it assembled.  I've got another way of doing it that involves flash curing, but it is better to just bake it in the oven and do it the normal way.  Cheats and shortcuts that work for some people might not work as well for others, and doing it the right way ensures the results will be perfect.

You may find that after curing, the texture is all uniform.

Email me at sixgunstickman @ yahoo.com instead of PMing if you have any questions.  I check my email more than I check my PMs.

PS-take the spaces out of the above email to send it
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 7:14:51 AM EDT
[#6]

Well, here we go.............

Thank's for the help Gentlemen ( but it ain't over til' it's over...... ).

Steve
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 12:03:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Are you done yet?
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top