Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/7/2005 7:28:45 PM EDT
Ok i need To Build or order a upper half, I Am Wanting16'' AR15 C.A.R. Upper Half; 5.56 NATO; A3 Upper; Chrome moly, 1-9, A2 flashider; CAR handguard, black; Bolt carrier group & charging handle, .

My ? Is What is the Real Differnce Between This Upper, Vs This  

16'' AR15 M-4 C.A.R. Upper Half; 5.56 NATO; A3 Upper; Chrome moly, 1-9, A2 flashider; M-4 handguard, black; Bolt carrier group & charging handle,

I Know the later is a M4 But is it worth the Money Differnce.

What is So Good about the M4 Vs The good Old Car 15 a3

Next ? Is can I build any of these 2 Configuration cheaper then Buying An Assymbled Upper with bolt and Carrier Already Set up and ready To Pin together the lower and upper ???

Thanks In Advance Superfly  
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 8:39:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Not sure who you're ordering from but from your descriptions, it sounds like the only difference is one comes with M4 handguards. IMO, a CAR upper would come with a A1/A2 upper and pencil barrel not an A3 upper. Don't forget you'll also need a BUIS or detachable carry handle. You don't list prices but you might shop around for a better deal.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 9:27:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Before the Superlite barrels were offered, the M4 was the only way to get a light weight AR.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 10:21:09 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Before the Superlite barrels were offered, the M4 was the only way to get a light weight FLAT TOP AR.

Colt has made pencil barrel carbines since the late 1970's.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 11:55:24 PM EDT
[#4]
The first one has standard CAR handguards while the M-4 has fatter M-4 handguards.

And the barrels are slightly different. The CAR model will have a HBAR underneath the handguards. The M-4 probably does also (depending on what brand this stuff is...I am assuming RRA). However the M-4 has a spot that has been machined skinnier than the CAR barrel. This is for a grenade launcher to be added.

They should shoot the same....just depends on which handguards you like better (easy and cheap to change anyways) and which you think looks better. I'm sure the m-4 is a few more dollars...and it will be harder to get right now.

Other than that its up to you...either way they should shoot and feel almost exactly the same.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 4:55:58 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

And the barrels are slightly different. The CAR model will have a HBAR underneath the handguards.  

Not at my house.

Both Colt, and now Bushmaster, put out 16 inch carbine barrels that have the original  lightweight profile under the HGs.  Don't know if Colt still offers that profile, but Bushie sure does. To my mind, buying or building a carbine type AR that weighs as much as the full rifle defeats half the purpose of having a short barrelled piece in the first place.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 5:06:48 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Before the Superlite barrels were offered, the M4 was the only way to get a light weight FLAT TOP AR.

Colt has made pencil barrel carbines since the late 1970's.

That's true.  Weren't the carbine barrels always 1/7?  I want one in 1/7, but I was wondering if it came in any other twist, like 1/12.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 6:29:57 AM EDT
[#7]
m4 handgaurd cools down a hot barrel faster than car handgaurd. but m4 handgaurd is heavier.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top