Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/6/2005 6:46:48 PM EDT
Does the bolt stay open when the last round is fired?  Mine does not with the one mag that I have.   Thanks
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 6:49:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes, it should stay open.

Does the bolt catch pivot freely w/o mag in receiver?

is your mag new?

need more info!
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 6:52:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 7:40:38 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Try pulling the charging handle all the way to the rear with an empty mag inserted into the rifle. Then let go  of the charging handle, the bolt should stay locked to the rear. If it doesn't then it could be the mag follower is not engaging the bolt stop, or the bolt stop is sticking.

Then try what GhostRing stated to see if the bolt stop is moving freely or not.

Bolt won't stay open with an empty mag in the rifle.  It will if I manually pull the mag release out while the bolt is pulled back.  It appears to move freely.  The mag is brand new.  Not sure of what it is, just one the local gunstore had in stock.  Says England on the side.  It has a black plastic follower.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 8:30:02 PM EDT
[#4]
It may be as simple as a weak magazine spring.

I would try with a Mil-spec mag and see what happens.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 3:35:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 4:47:51 AM EDT
[#6]
try some new mags.

with an empty mag in place you can pull the charging handle back and it should actuate the bolt hold open.

weak mag spring or worn follower is what i think it is
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 5:08:40 AM EDT
[#7]
You definately have a bad rifle.  It is probably a counterfit and could be very, very, very dangerous to use.  You need to give it to me so that you don't get injured or possibly killed.  I will pay for shipping.  Sorry, like counterfeit money, I cannot give you its face value.  Shipping is the best I can do.

US Secret Cervix.

Seriously, sounds like a bad mag or weak mag springs.  Try a new magazine.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 7:37:14 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
You definately have a bad rifle.  It is probably a counterfit and could be very, very, very dangerous to use.  You need to give it to me so that you don't get injured or possibly killed.  I will pay for shipping.  Sorry, like counterfeit money, I cannot give you its face value.  Shipping is the best I can do.

US Secret Cervix.

Seriously, sounds like a bad mag or weak mag springs.  Try a new magazine.

But the kit said it was a finely tuned bullet hose.  
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 11:13:52 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Says England on the side.  It has a black plastic follower.

It's your follower.  If you look at the back of your follower you'll see where there is a rectangular ridge the stops about an 1/8" short from the top of the cartridge shelf at the top of the follower.  That ridge (on a normal follower) trips the bolt catch.  On a normal follower that goes all the way up to the top.  For a couple of bucks you can buy a new follower.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 6:01:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Bought a new mag at the range today.  It reliably held the bolt open when empty.  I'll rebuild the other.  Thanks for the help guys.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 9:55:47 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
with the one mag that I have.

This statement is really frightening!!!!!!

Everyone knows that you have to have at least ten mags per rifle, and even a C-mag stanched away for the times you just need hose the tree-lines down against attacking zombies.

Next thing you will be telling us is you only have/carry a single condom in your wallet for picking up strange during date night at the college bars.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 1:23:26 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
with the one mag that I have.

This statement is really frightening!!!!!!

Everyone knows that you have to have at least ten mags per rifle, and even a C-mag stanched away for the times you just need hose the tree-lines down against attacking zombies.

Next thing you will be telling us is you only have/carry a single condom in your wallet for picking up strange during date night at the college bars.

Dragracer_Rob = still stoopid newby.  I'm working on it.  In the great state of OHIO, anything above a 40 round mag is considered a MACHINE GUN.  No fun for me.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 3:34:44 AM EDT
[#13]
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top