Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/31/2004 9:00:29 AM EDT
As the title says.....
How do you go about making the "Fire" marking on your lower receiver red, and "Safe" marking, white?

If you would share your methods, I would appreciate
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 9:55:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Tagged
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 9:58:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Brownells sells lacquer sticks in different colors.
http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=7778&title=LACQUER-STIK%7e

Link Posted: 10/31/2004 10:21:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Might as well use a Turd because it looks like shit
But thats just my opinion
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 10:28:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Yeah, I was going to say make sure it's something that's easily removed so when you decide it sucks you can get it back off. But hey if you like that's great, some people do for some reason that I can't see myself.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 10:30:45 AM EDT
[#6]
china markers found in art stores do the job.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 10:34:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Grease pencils or crayon.  Be sure to degrease with alcohol first.  Then wipe away the excess with alcohol soaked kleenex.  
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 11:55:41 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I was looking for something more permanent.

BTW, I don't think I asked if you liked the way it looked, just how to do it.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 11:58:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Regular crayola crayon works as well as china marker, is cheaper, comes in more flavors, easier to find, and easier to work with.  

Clean the area with rubbing alcohol first, make sure the area is free of oil, then heat with a hair dryer, rub the crayon into the area and allow to cool to room temp, then rub with a clean towel.

Tom  
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 1:21:44 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
But thats just my opinion

In defense of myself, and possibly the thread starter, I am doing it so the markings show up in my "record" photos to prove the rifles were in "no-ban" config.

Link Posted: 10/31/2004 4:22:25 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Regular crayola crayon works as well as china marker, is cheaper, comes in more flavors, easier to find, and easier to work with.  

Tom  hr

+1

I just cleaned the area with alcohol then proceeded rubbing the crap out of the wording to fill in the letters with the wax.  Then scrubbed hard with a clean cloth to remove all the excess wax.  Costs nothing and can be done in 5 minutes.

I just did the selector markings.  I don`t think doing anymore than that would look good.  

I don`t understand why this sole topic starts the most brutal flames I've EVER seen on this site.  On more than one occasion too.  If you don`t like it.  Fine.  You don`t have to do it to your rifle.  I don`t see where comments like this:

Quoted:

do any good.....

Link Posted: 10/31/2004 4:26:21 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I was looking for something more permanent.

BTW, I don't think I asked if you liked the way it looked, just how to do it.

Automotive touch up paint. It's designed to stick to metal and last forever, what more could you ask for? In all reality, almost any sort of grease or metal paint will work since nothing is really going to be in contact with the bottom of the stampings where the paint will be.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 4:52:25 PM EDT
[#13]
i used testorsw gloss paint in a pen and it work wonderful.

what i did was fill the letters in with the paint and let it sit for a couple mins the get a lightly damp cloth or paper towel with paint thinner and wipe the reciever lightly and it takes the imperfections off

works real good and looks good too. i have clean it with clp without any problems and if you ever want to remove it all you have to do is put a little paint thinner on it and wipe it off.

oh i have also used gunscrubber and gun blast without any ill outcomes
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 9:03:57 PM EDT
[#14]
I actually just finished painting the safe/fire on my new ar-15 pistol I built. I used some model paint by "Testors". I used the thinist paintbrush I have to fill in the letters. Then I dabbed off the excess paint. Then I put some Break-free on a paper towel and wipped off the rest of the excess paint. If there was anything left I used some paint thinner and wipped it off. I'm fairly sure if you don't like it you can just use paint thinner and a neddle to remove it.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top