Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/31/2004 6:42:54 AM EDT
What are the thoughts on these for a build ? New to this and friend has the Armalite lowers. Figure I would get a couple and order the internals from Armalite. Then top it off with a dissapator upper.  Not sure who to get the upper from or if there are better lower internal part kits out there. Any suggestions or help would be appreciated.

As if you did not notice but this is my first build. And all the configuations and such do get confuseing for a newb.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 7:49:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Armalite lowers are fine.  Pretty much any lower is fine.  Not a huge difference here.

As far as internal parts kits... they can all be hit/miss.... just get what is not too expensive, dont pay over $60.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 7:57:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 8:40:17 AM EDT
[#3]
No, never used an Armalite kit.  I just think all LPK's are about the same, from what I have read and seen myself.  I have used RRA's, "no-name" ones, DPMS, and Bushmaster.... and then had rifles from Oly, Colt, etc...  and I have had "minor" issues with just about all of them.  Heard about gritty triggers on all of them.... and smooth triggers on all of them.  I have never seen an absolute authoritative statement, about which guys truly make their own, and which ones dont..... so I have to assume most of this stuff is sourced from other vendors anyway.

Biggest issues I have seen are detents a little too large, and they "stick" in the lowers (both safety detent and takedown pins, springs a tad too long requiring a coil or two to be trimmed, bolt catches that are a tad too thick, and safeties that were cast with rough detent stops that made them a bear to select between fire and safe.  I just cant say one manf was better than the other.  Of course, none of these things are big deals to me.  I expect when building your own rifle to have snags like this, manufacturers have hundred of each part on hand, which helps them choose the best parts, and pitch ones that are out of spec.  We just have to make them work!
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top