Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/30/2004 8:54:59 AM EDT
I have a civilian .223 FIELD headspace gage (got it from Brownells, I think its a Colt). I've never used it as its a hassle to remove the ejector on my AR15s prior to making the measurement. I hear that the military headspace gage has some kind of clearance cuts so that it can be used with the ejector still in place.

Is is possible to modify my civilian gage to work in the same way ? I am thinking I can just grind off some material at the base of the gage to provide clearance for the ejector plunger. Is this gonna work, or is it a foolhardy exercise ? Does anyone have a photo of a military gage I can use to guide the size/shape of the cut ?
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 9:04:24 AM EDT
[#1]
The military one is just thinner where it meets up with the face of the bolt.  A machine shop may be able to turn yours down.  Mine is .22" at the base of the gauge.  Which allows you to leave on the extractor and ejector.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 9:27:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the feedback. Could anyone post pics ? I hope I can do this with hand tools (i.e. just grind off the offending metal).
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top