Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/25/2004 11:54:12 AM EDT
I tried searching for this in the forum but came up with nothing.. I want to have the right tools in order to perhaps build my own ar, or dissamble, etc, basic/major work on an ar.  Although I don't wanna break the bank.. I found two extremes of tool kits..

http://www.creedmoorsports.com/Gun_Parts_AR_Maintenance.htm

$299.98

and

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/Store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=432&title=TOOLS+FOR+AR-15%2FM16

$982.00 (OUCH!!!!)

Both extremely expensive..

So I wanna here some experience here.. What is really needed to do this kind of work on an AR.. Are either of these kits really needed?  I have no idea..  Obviously the latter has a 200.00 torque wrench included, but I work on my car all the time with no torque wrench with no problems.. But I don't know so this is why I'm asking..

Does anyone have any other options or advise?

Link Posted: 10/25/2004 12:38:49 PM EDT
[#1]
I think if you check the Sticky post at the top of the page it will give you a good idea what you need.

I would say you need GOOD pinpunches ,a barrel nut wrench and barrel jaws for your vise.

I bet you can get most of the basic tools for around $70.00 or less.

Court 223  
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 12:58:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Whoa, $300+ for a set of "AR" tools?  Between the Dremel, the vise block, the 3 C-Clamps (that I currently use in place of a vice), the various punches and enough spare parts to build another AR, I don't even have $300 invested.  You said that you are looking to build your own AR, I'm assuming that you will want to do barrel/upper work as well, so here goes.  

For the Lower receiver assembly, you will want a brass punch set to punch in all the pins.  A roll pin punch in 5/32 is also nice for the bolt release roll pin.  You will need to have either a CAR stock wrench or a M4 stock wrench if you are installing a collapsable stock or a big screwdriver for an A1/A2 stock.  Other than that, the lower is pretty easy to assemble.  Refer to the AR-15 Lower receiver assembly guide for more info.  

For the upper, you will definitely need to have a receiver block and a barrel wrench.  You can get both from Brownells or Bushmaster.  Barrel blocks are nice for installing/removing muzzle devices, but you can get away with two blocks of wood.  A set of headspace gauges are nice for confirming proper headspace, but not necessary if you buy name brand components from reputable vendors.  Oh, and you will need a vice, the bigger the better.  Refer to FALARAK's link for info on working on the upper, installing a free float tube, etc.  

Hope this helps.  Also, it shows that you are in GA; if you are in the metro Atlanta area, and need a tool, post it on the hometown forum.  I have tools that I would be glad to share, as does a couple more local ARFCOMers.  
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 1:04:49 PM EDT
[#3]
I bought an Armors Wrench yesterday for $21 at the gunshow. I does regular and free float barrel nuts. It also does CAR and M4 Buffer Nuts

I'm gonna pick up an Action Block for about $40.

Those are the only tools I needed to buy. I was lucky enough to get by without punches for the pins in my lower.

I used a screwdriver for the grip and a hammer and pliers (sp) for the rollpins.

Following FALARAK's info and it got me through the lower setup
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 2:32:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks, ghost.. Didn't know there was a GA forum till now.. Trying to get a good base on this hobby, and nice to know there are some home town guys that are into it.. I'm very new to this and if any of you ga guys would like to get together, I could use a little get started hands on, show me kinda session, if any of you guys would be interested, BTW I live in buford and work in lawrenceville... But I found a much cheaper kit that looks like it might have the basics that you guys are talking about, but it is made by bushmaster so I wonder if it has all the parts to work on other manufactures weapons..

http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/gunsmith/a1armkit.asp
$79.95
they also had this one for about twice the price..

http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/gunsmith/a1darmkit.asp
$169.95

I wouldn't be opposed to spending a little extra so that I get the stuff I need..

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top