Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/25/2004 11:25:50 AM EDT
Anybody know of a shop that will cut the longer feed ramps? I'm about to order a new BBL and I need the ramps to match my upper. Cutting the ramps should be cheaper than buying a new upper.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 1:57:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Feed Ramps

Check with Denny's Guns or Adco in the industry forum they will install a ramped barrel extension for you.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 2:00:42 PM EDT
[#2]
You don't need them.
I'm running a non-M4 ramped DPMS 16" M4 barrel in a M4 ramped LMT upper and it runs 100% so far in 1K rounds.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 4:08:17 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Feed Ramps

Check with Denny's Guns or Adco in the industry forum they will install a ramped barrel extension for you.

Ramps aren't needed.  Trying to install a new extension on an old barrel with an existing gas port is an exercise in frustration.  The threads RARELY match up so that when the extension is tight, the indexing pin and gas port line up.  If they don't line up, you have no gas system.  No gas system equals a single shot AR.  

You can weld over the old gas hole and drill a new one, properly indexed with the extension, but you risk ruining the barrel as a whole, and if the barrel is stamped, your stamping will end up somewhere other than on the top of the barrel where it always is.

A new barrel is ALMOST ALWAYS the only alternative for the precious M4 feed ramps.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 6:11:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Just answering the question I never said they were needed and for what it is worth I don't have need or want them ..... Teh folks I suggested CAN install one correctly if need be. He has an upper with ramps and an extension without, Once again I just answered the question with a link to the Misinformation thread....
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 6:25:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Sure thing.  Just adding some info.  The misinformation link is ADCO's (bigbore), so Steve is likely to tell you to pack sand when asked to cut ramps in your barrel extension.  The reality that most people don't realize is that a barrel extension "swap", just like a FSB "swap", is not a part for part change and go.  You introduce potential gas system problems and headspace issues when you start messing with barrel extensions, both of which most people don't want to mess with nor warranty their work, as there are no guarantees that your effort will end up with the desired result.

I provided him with the surest outcome, which is a barrel swap with a properly installed M4 extension.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 9:18:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 4:19:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Funny, I read the misinformation thread too. In the picture with the upper with the ramps and the extension without, it says: " if a cartridge fed into the feed ramp, it would definately get stuck in the extended portion of the extension".....I know of at least two people who have tried this, and both have told me that they experienced jams/shavings. This is not a matter of whether or not M4 feed ramps are needed, I have an upper with the ramps, I WANT a BBL with them also and I am having a hard time finding the BBL I want with them. I don't need opinions, I just asked for some help finding someone who may be able to cut the ramps. And, just maybe, to help others with the same question........... "ASFOC", thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 4:38:03 AM EDT
[#8]
By the way, I already talked to Steve at ADCO, nice guy, great service. I doubt very much he would tell any of his customers to "pack sand". He told me that he could add the ramps for 10.00 to a BBL that I bought from him. The only problem is that he can't get me a BBL for a few weeks. I just thought it was rude to ask him to cut the ramps in a BBL I bought from someone else. Again, Thanks AFSOC.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top