Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/24/2004 8:18:11 AM EDT
I have an Ameetec lower with RRA lower parts and a A2 pistol grip.

My selector is rather sloppy and has some play when its in SAFE or FIRE.

is this normal? If not, what can I do to fix it? I built it up myself and I used the right spring and detent.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 8:41:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Hmmm...

I built a couple of Ameetec lowers recently with White Oak parts kits and they both work like Swiss watches. Do you have another safety available you can try?

Failing that, you might try stretching the detent spring as the problem is possibly in your pistol grip; the hole for the spring being too deep.

Luck,

SD
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 12:00:05 PM EDT
[#2]
i took it apart and looked it over.

It appears the selector wasn't drilled properly in the SAFE mode. The selector detent would wobble around, and thus translates to a "sloppy" selector in the SAFE Mode.

In FIRE, it's stiff.

Rather than mess with the selector itself, I cut a spare take-down detent spring and stuffed it into the pistol grip to tighten up the selector assembly. It seems to work good and I figure the slop won't affect anything.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 2:52:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Yep... this can be caused by several things....

1.  crimping the detent spring when installing the grip.
2.  incorrect spring.
3.  Oversized detent not allowing full travel into the safety.
4.  Trash/burrs in the detent hole of the lower not allowing full travel/pressure of the detent.
5.  poorly cast safety

I always take the detent, and push it with the spring manually, without the selector installed, to ensure the detent has proper travel.

Any safety can be "tuned" to the operators preferences, clipping springs, adding stuff to the grip spring hole, etc... some like em tight, some like em loose.  I prefer mine just a little on the loose side.  As a lefty, I rub my hand/index finger raw when I take a class and have to switch the safety on and off all day.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 2:59:15 PM EDT
[#4]
I can see why you'd want it loose

In my case I believe its a poorly case safety selector.

I hope the extra piece of spring doesn't cause too much detent pressure causing the selector or the detent to wear out?
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 4:27:41 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I hope the extra piece of spring doesn't cause too much detent pressure causing the selector or the detent to wear out?

I sure wouldnt worry about that.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top