Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/22/2004 3:23:26 PM EDT
I have a Rock River lower receiver around here somewhere that I picked up with
intentions on building a "reach out and touch something" AR-15. Unfortunately I lost my job
a few days later, and the lower was tossed into a drawer on the reloading bench and forgotten
all this time.

This would be my first build, and back 2-3 years ago when I bought this lower, I planned on hand
picking each part and building up a fine rifle, and my first build to boot. Now I'm wondering if
it might be easier if these was a kit out there somewhere that I can buy everything from
the upper, to trigger assembly, to furniture as I honestly have nothing but the lower.

Anyone make an exceptional but still reasonably priced "sniper" kit?
I'm eager to learn and eager to build, trying to stay in a reasonable budget.

Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated!
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 3:32:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 4:01:39 PM EDT
[#2]

Thank you *very* much for the links.

After diving in and looking at what they have to offer, I realize I have a lot to learn.
I have no idea what 90% of these options are, what works well, or if any mix are (currently)
illegal.

Are there any online guides I can read up on to educate myself some? I'd really like to make
an educated purchase rather then just  jump in and buy something that looks good and hope
for the best.

Link Posted: 10/22/2004 5:04:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Unless you are in a state w/ it's own assult weopons ban, the flashider, adjustable stock and bayo lug is legal.

Since you stated a reach out and touch someone AR, I would assume you would be using a scope.  The beauty of the AR is, you can swap your upper to go plinking w/ cheap ammo while not "messing up" your long range upper.

If you wish to shoot everything through the upper (w/out planning to get another upper for "crap" ammo), I suggest the RRA 223 Wylde chambering.  The Wylde is a comrimise between the 223 chamber and the 5.56 chamber.  I have not used it, but the premis to the Wylde chambering is "sound".  Look here: more info

www.rockriverarms.com

I don't know what you concider "long range", but I suggest a 20" barrel w/ the 1:8 twist.  A 24" seems a little long.  The "heavy barrel" profile is prob. enough...as the "bull barrel" profile would creat a heavy rifle.

Link Posted: 10/22/2004 5:42:37 PM EDT
[#4]

Great, your suggestions are along the lines I was looking for.

Is there somewhere that I can learn what all these different A2, A3, A4, A1 steak sauce
varians are?

I'm trying to read through a bunch of posts here in the forums, but everyone abbreviates
everything because it's common knowledge to them, so I get a bit lost when I see
SPR, SAM, RRA, DPMS.

I recognise some of the names like Rock River and DPMS from when I researched this a few years
ago, but there is so much cool stuff out now! I'm just drooling looking at some of these
photos you guys are posting!!
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 5:50:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Check this out, maybe it will help ARFCOM KNOWLEDGE
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 6:00:59 PM EDT
[#6]

That's the "primer" I was looking for! Thanks!

Time for me to read up a bit. I'm hoping I can build something for around $750. But I have
a bad habbit of expensive taste....

Link Posted: 10/23/2004 6:23:30 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
That's the "primer" I was looking for! Thanks!

Time for me to read up a bit. I'm hoping I can build something for around $750. But I have
a bad habbit of expensive taste....

You're not the only one.....

<------------ has a .440 Corbon AR upper that has yet to be fed and a 6mm PPC AR upper that I need to develope loads for.  And I'm trying to finish up a .357 Sig AR upper (have parts, must send off to smith for work).......

Edit-
I just remembered, not sure if the deal is still around, but Oly Arms had a "kit" that was selling for right about $450.  It was a carbine upper; nothing fancy, but a nice inexpensive way to get into an AR.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 8:13:34 AM EDT
[#8]
I *love* the .440 Corbon!! I didn't realize the AR was a flexible enough of a platform to
use such a high power, necked down round! I have a Desert Eagle .50 AE that I had
7" and 10" .440 Corbon barrels for, I used them so much developing rounds, that I wound up
cracking the DE frame!! I'm still hoping I can find someone skilled enough to weld the crack
in the frame for me, but I find too many true gunsmiths are more tinkerers. They get
scared when they see a hairline crack in a frame...which is understandable I guess for
liability reasons.

I also love the .357 SIG. I had a Sig 229 that I had a 9mm, .40 (stock) and .357 SIG
setup for. I find the idea of an AR able to take .357 SIG rather enticing! Though it's a pain
to reload them well I've found. I always had trouble with length of the round and the magazines.

Anywho, sorry to ramble, you just single-handedly cursed me with a great desire to build an
extra exotic AR. And honestly, I've been told numerous times to stay away from Olympic Arms.
All the gear at ADCO is very exciting, though the prices are rather scary. Many of the photos
of the ADCO built long rifles are *very* close to what I see in my minds eye! hingone of these:

www.fulton-armory.com/GEN_II.htm#LiberatorRifles

Obviously I wouldn't be building it, but for the price, it has many of the features I'm looking for.

Thanks!

~Eric~
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 9:07:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Are you talking this type:

or this type:

Personaly I'd get an A3/A4 flattop with a 4 rail gas block.  you can always add flip up iron sights or fixed bolt on iron sights.  Check outwww.eaglefirearms.net they have good prices and they are great to deal with.  If you email them they will get you a price on almost anything you want (i.e. complete uppers/kits).  Check out www.eabco.com for a set of AR15 specific warren tactical scope rings and good deals on scopes.

Daubs
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 9:12:35 AM EDT
[#10]
I like I like the Liberator (top one) better, but I want a 6 position stock and I'd need
to add a hand gard in the proper position on all that mounting brackets.

Thanks for those other links, I'll look into them next.

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top