Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/21/2004 1:22:44 PM EDT
Cheaper than the $70 to $120 deals at Sears & Ace.
1/2" drive 10-150 ft/lbs micrometer type, AmPro brand, found it at Advance Auto Parts for $35.
Took it to work and had one of co-workers check it on a torque wrench calibrator.  It was within +/- 1% at the settings we tested it at.  
Not bad, and it will never really see much heavy use so the calibration should be good for a while.
A great deal if you ask me.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 6:55:12 AM EDT
[#1]
I got one from harbor freight for $19. Seems to work well I'd like test it on a torque wrench calibrator to see if it's in spec or not.  So far its worked fine.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 12:40:37 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I got one from harbor freight for $19. Seems to work well I'd like test it on a torque wrench calibrator to see if it's in spec or not.  So far its worked fine.

+1
Torque on the barrel nut is not all that critical. Lube with some moly grease. You want at least 30 ft/lbs and not more than 80, more or less. I use an old beam type I've had for years. As long as you are more or less between those numbers and the gas tube goes into place, you are good to go. Purists flame on...
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 12:49:47 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

If you are not in a hurry, HFT puts them on sale for 11 bucks every once in a while.

Great for the weekend mechanic.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 3:26:02 PM EDT
[#4]
If your getting yours at Harbor Freight, I'd suggest picking up one of their 20-100 inch/pound ones also!
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 9:27:15 PM EDT
[#5]
harborfreight has a pittsburg 1/2" torque wrench for $9.99.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 2:24:09 AM EDT
[#6]
With all these cheap sources, how come every once in a while there is someone on here complaining about having to buy a torque wrench to assemble their AR?
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top