Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/21/2004 1:08:25 AM EDT
what are the cheapest tools necessary to install a barrel and FF forend? i'd like to do this as cheaply as possible.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 4:49:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Save yourself some agrivation, instead of looking for the cheapest tools, go to Bushmaster's web-site and purchase a Armorer's Block (for holding the upper), and an Armorer's tool (the wrench for removing the barrel nut) from them. Cheap tools will only get ya busted knuckles.....

Note there's a list of tools and the re-barreling procedures tacked to the top of the AR Discussion forum, IIRC.

Mike
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 7:44:46 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Note there's a list of tools and the re-barreling procedures tacked to the top of the AR Discussion forum, IIRC.

Mike

yeah, i know. i just can't afford to spend $70 on the tools like he did. i'm already spending to much on the rifle.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 9:54:11 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
yeah, i know. i just can't afford to spend $70 on the tools like he did. i'm already spending to much on the rifle.

Check your hometown forum and see if someone nearby will loan you the tools or help you put the barrel on.  I'd offer, but I'll bet it would cost you more than $70 in gas to get to Cincinnati.  
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 12:09:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Get the Olympic arms barrel wrench for $22 it tightens every thing on an AR including tele-stocks.   They also have an armors action block for $38

You can also look at Bravo Co's post.  

It will probably be cheeper to get everything from Oly to save on shipping.

You can get a troque wrench and a snap ring pliers form harbor freight for $19 + $5 repectively.

If you have punches your all set. If not a trip to Sears will get you what you'll need for $10, go ahead and break one they're guaranteed forever.

Remember all these tools are reusable.... nobody said this sport is cheep
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 12:29:53 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Mike

Where are you located in TX?
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 1:34:22 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Where are you located in TX?

waco. i'm not in need of them quite yet. depends on whether or not BM come through soon in the order i placed with them.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 2:19:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Don't bother with the torque wrench or action block. If you're a reasonable person, you won't have issues. In lieu of an action block, simply put the receiver in a folded newspaper and clamp it (gently) in a vise.  The torque wrench isn't used by a lot of people; I wouldn't be concerned. Just get lined to the first hole with a decent amount of torque, and you'll be fine.

The Oly armorer's wrench is decent. I like it.

DO NOT SKIMP ON PUNCHES. The FSB pins are enough of a PITA to start with. I went through easily $10 in gunshow punches, and quite a bit of liquid nitrogen(!!) before I just bought a craftsman set that worked the first time around at room temp..
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top