Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/20/2004 12:34:25 PM EDT
I just bought an old PWA lower that I wanted to use for an A1 build since it is an A1 type lower without the buffer tube reinforcement. I notice that the engraving for the logo, serial number and place of manufacture isn't deep at all compared to my Bushy and RRA lowers. I would like to beadblast the lower so that I can refinish it to match the A1 upper I'll be using but I have one concern I hope someone can address.
If I beadblast the lower and refinish it, do I risk obliterating the logo and serial number for the lower? Obviously this needs to stay and I'd like an answer before I blast it.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 3:44:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Why bead blast it?  Clean it well, degrease it (soak it in a bucket of lacquer thinner).

Then as per Stickman's thread on Refinishing (in this section) spray with flat black Norrell's Moly Resin www.molyresin.com.

The flat black will match current uppers from most mfgs.  The gray-black will match the old Colt uppers.  But best if you refinish the upper at the same time.

I followed Stickman's directions, and have just done three rifles this week.  They turned out GREAT.  The Moly Resin goes on quite thin, and you can still read the shallow stamping on the barrel, and even see the machining marks from turning down the barrel.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 3:54:21 PM EDT
[#2]
AFM,
Thanks for the info, I hadnt seen the thread and will have to give it a try.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 4:44:26 PM EDT
[#3]
dont bead blast the lower, you run the risk of taking off the anodizing, which gives the aluminum its exterior toughness.

Just degrease it well, and refinish over the top of whatever finish is already on there.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top