Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/19/2004 1:56:25 PM EDT
Orginally i was going to go with a RRA 20" varmint but after talking with steve at adco and John Holliger at White Oak Armament on the phone..im concerned with the RRA barrel fitting without running into problems...im a noob but what i gathered is the RRA varmint is a tad bit thicker that others and makes barrel nuts harder to find?

so now im debating between afew different barrels..whats the general opionion of White Oak Armament CMP Match barrels and Compass Lake Douglas barrels? any others that you can recommend under $300 price range would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 2:06:29 PM EDT
[#1]
You really cannot go wrong with White Oak or Compass Lake, both use Douglas blanks as well as anything else you want to make barrels. If you go with a barrel from either of them, make sure you get the matched bolt to ensure the best accuracy.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 2:19:45 PM EDT
[#2]
My RRA 1 in 12" by 24" SS barrel is accurate enough, it is thick though. For accuracy you should consider a Free Float Tube instead of a nut and handguards. I got my RRA tube used off the EE for cheap, worked like a charm. The White Oak and ADCO stuff IS excellent too.

HTH,

Danny
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 3:14:33 PM EDT
[#3]
yea if i understood right..it was that with the RRA varmint barrel some Free Float tubes would have sum trouble installing. Im not sure i followed what they said right..but i know they both told me that the RRA barrel might run into problems.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 3:23:14 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
yea if i understood right..it was that with the RRA varmint barrel some Free Float tubes would have sum trouble installing. Im not sure i followed what they said right..but i know they both told me that the RRA barrel might run into problems.

I had to machine out a Hogue to fit mine at first. Brake honed about 0.030" and it fit. Then I had to put the Hogue together, then install the gasblock and tube cause the gas block was so large. I went back and installed a 1 piece RRA. The Hogue is 2-piece BTW, nut and tube.

Danny

EDIT: The bottom AR in the pic with the Hogue, don't have an up to date pic. Maybe you can tell the barrel on the bottom one is larger in diameter than the top one (Armalite 1 in 8")

Link Posted: 10/19/2004 3:44:10 PM EDT
[#5]
think im gonna play it safe and go with the CLE. with a matching bolt.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 4:55:25 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
think im gonna play it safe and go with the CLE. with a matching bolt.

A wise move! I should have looking back, but the FrankenAR shoots good enough for these old eyes.

Danny
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top