Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/18/2004 11:45:20 AM EDT
   I'm in the process of building my first AR and would like to add a flip up front sight.  I've seen them mounted two different ways, to the barrel and on top of a FF tube.  Is one way better than the other?  I would tend to think that mounting the flip up sight to the barrel would be more accurate and dependable.  I am interested in one of the YHM kits, but I'm not completely sold on the reliability of mounting the front sight on top of the FF tube.  YHM stands by their product and claims that there is no loss of accuracy with this type of setup, but I'm not convinced.  Any one one with some pesonal experience or additional information regarding my little dilemma would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 12:43:19 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
   I'm in the process of building my first AR and would like to add a flip up front sight.  I've seen them mounted two different ways, to the barrel and on top of a FF tube.  Is one way better than the other?  I would tend to think that mounting the flip up sight to the barrel would be more accurate and dependable.

Accurate?  No.  More dependable?  In theory, yes.  The barrel is a more solid platform.  However, it is dubious you would encounter problems either way.  If enough force has been applied to your front sight to break it off a float tube, it is likely your weapon is in serious trouble regardless.

Typically front sights on the tube are done when using a tube longer than the FSB location, therefore requiring such a device, in conjucntion with a low profile gas block.

I am interested in one of the YHM kits, but I'm not completely sold on the reliability of mounting the front sight on top of the FF tube.  YHM stands by their product and claims that there is no loss of accuracy with this type of setup, but I'm not convinced.  Any one one with some pesonal experience or additional information regarding my little dilemma would be greatly appreciated.   .

I would be less inclined to put a front sight on a YHM float tube.... in comparison to a Larue.  The YHM tube has no means of locking the position on the tube alignment.....  if reliability is a concern, get a tube that cannot move, or get a real FSB on the barrel.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top