Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/17/2004 5:29:42 PM EDT
Could some one explain to me the difference in how a collapsable stock has strength.
I do not know about this and would like to be educated.
I understand that it is adjustable. But how does it keep its strength for regular usage?
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 5:46:11 PM EDT
[#1]
It mostly has to do with the materials used. Also, some stocks (like the Vltor) aren't standard designs, meaning that someone had to first design it, and then produce it. Making a standard CAR stock is much easier since the design is already done. It's always cheaper to copy than to create something new. The Vltor offers a lot of improvements over a standard CAR stock, and is priced compareably to a new Colt stock (maybe even a little cheaper).

That said, the collapseable stocks made by RRA, Bushmaster, etc., are essentially copies of the original Colt design, but are made of very high quality materials, and can be had for around $75 complete if you shop around a little. It's sort of like tools - you can buy Snap-On which are high end and probably the best, you can buy cheapo Taiwan stuff that may work a few times before it breaks, or you can buy Craftsman which is priced somewhere in the middle, but is of high quality and still has a lifetime warantee.

ETA - there are huge differences in strength between various plastic materials. The stronger stuff usually costs more money and can cost more to manufacture into a finished product. The best way to demonstrate it is to have the two stocks in front of you, side by side. It will be VERY easy to tell which is the cheapo.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 5:52:34 PM EDT
[#2]
I saw the thread in the EE from RBprecision for their adjustable stocks. Looks good. I may get one.........hell I need two for the rifles I am currently building. I happened onto a barrel for $20.00 Its a Colt barrel. I checked the markings. Its a government profile.

Thanks Gus.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 6:04:03 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I saw the thread in the EE from RBprecision for their adjustable stocks. Looks good. I may get one.........hell I need two for the rifles I am currently building. I happened onto a barrel for $20.00 Its a Colt barrel. I checked the markings. Its a government profile.

Thanks Gus.

I bought one from RB a few weeks ago to upgrade a former post-ban RRA carbine I have. Great deal, and RB's service is the best!  Nice deal  on the Colt barrel!! Sometimes the best deals are found locally.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 6:14:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Collapsing or fixed, the weak point of the AR stock is the buffer tube attachment into the receiver.  Thats why getting a quality buffer tube is more important than the type or style of stock that sits on the tube.  I stay way from the "made in taiwan" stocks coming in right now..... stick with a reputable dealer, and breaking a stock is something you wont have to worry with.  Buttstrokes are always a risky maneuver...... no matter how you look at it.  
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 2:20:14 AM EDT
[#5]
For my $0.02 worth, I decided on VLTOR since I'm damn near 60 and expect to will my AR to my son eventually.  I didn't need something as advanced or adaptable as a MAGPUL but wanted an extremely high level of quality and durability.  I don't know anything about the actual chemical makeup but after reading a lot of comments from the real experts here I could tell VLTOR was serious equipment and, sure enough, I'm very pleased with mine.  It's very solid, especially considering it's some sort of composite material, and it's therefore a real lightweight too.

Regarding service-life, I honestly can't say since it's a new design, I don't have a chance to shoot a lot, and I'm not LEO or in the service (any more).  Some of the other guys here probably know more about that.  However, the physical construction, fit, & finish are outstanding and exactly what I expected from a specialty company.  The tubes are quite close tolerance and the stock extends smoothly with a definite "click" at the stops -no slop and no wobble.  I think I got what I paid for - top quality.  I know I got the special extra features I wanted.

Sorry, not exactly what you asked bluetruck88, but it's what I can offer and hope this helps you decide.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 4:30:35 PM EDT
[#6]
I have heard of magpul, but I never heard of Vltor.

Who sells Vltor, do you have a website address?

Thanks

Dan
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 4:48:59 PM EDT
[#7]
I have an Ace Socom on my M4 wannabe. It has a hammer built into the bottom of the butt. Its for breaking down doors and cracking heads. But the weak point is still the buffer tube connection to the lower.  
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 1:43:30 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I have heard of magpul, but I never heard of Vltor.

Who sells Vltor, do you have a website address?

Thanks

Dan

Several of the dealers in our Equipment Exchange offer excellent prices and perks on VLTORs.  Pics and discussions in several threads....
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 1:52:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top