Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/15/2004 8:56:40 PM EDT
Got a question...I understand bushmaster sells barrels only that are pre-headspaced.   Does that mean they headspace only the barrel extension and then I use my existing bolt?  or does that mean the barrel comes with a bolt?

If they don't include a bolt, is there any company that sells the barrels headspaced with an included headspaced bolt?

Thanks

Link Posted: 10/16/2004 5:21:30 AM EDT
[#1]
The design of the barrel extension makes it easy to hold very tight tolerances on headspace.  As a consequence, if you get a barrel and bolt from a reputable source, it is highly probable the headspace will be perfect.  

Looking at it from another direction.  It's cheaper to buy a new barrel than it is to pay someone to fix the headspace in a barrel.

Many like to buy a headspace gauge (about $20) to verify correct fit.  I have checked about 2 dozen bolt/barrel combinations and have never found a bad one.

However, for extreme accuracy, many match grade barrels are sold with a bolt that has been checked for headspace.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 12:22:07 PM EDT
[#2]
So what manufacturers sell both the barrel and the bolt?  

I understand bushmaster says its headspaced, but does that mean they sell the bolt too?
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 11:23:07 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
So what manufacturers sell both the barrel and the bolt?  

I understand bushmaster says its headspaced, but does that mean they sell the bolt too?

Yes, Bushmaster sells bolts.  So does Colt, DPMS, Rock River, Armalite, and just about everyone else.

You want a new Bushie barrel? Fine. Stop obsessing. Any reputable makers bolt will be just fine
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 6:42:38 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
You want a new Bushie barrel? Fine. Stop obsessing. Any reputable makers bolt will be just fine

+1.  The barrel extension is headspaced to work with an in-spec bolt.

Any bolt you buy, unless defective, will be in spec.  That means, you can buy any bolt from any manufacturer, and your headspace will be within spec for any barrel that was properly set up by the factory.

Even if you buy a complete rifle from a manufacturer, there is no guarantee they headspaced the bolt in that rifle with the barrel in that rifle.  it was most likely headspaced when the barrel was made, at the step where the extension was installed.... and thats it.

Move on..... nothing to see here......
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top