Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/14/2004 6:56:28 AM EDT
How hard is it to correctly drill an undrilled AR lower ? Does anyone sell lowers that have been dimpled and marked (outlined) at the correct locations to complete a lower project ?

It seems to me that some interprising machine shop entrepreneur could purchase these incomplete lowers and easily dimple them at the correct locations for the do it your selfer. $25.00 for the lower - $25.00 for marking them (not drilling them through) and make themselves a nice profit. Since the lower had not been drilled through there would not be any federal regulations concerning their shipment. The mag release would have to be correctly outline however, and a guide identifying the holes needed and the size of the drill bits would need to be included.

Once a die was made to hold the lower in the same place time after time it seems to me that it would be a fairly simple undertaking. I would like to try my luck at it.

Cheers. NAV
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 7:54:36 AM EDT
[#1]
3 reasons they don't do it:

1. People would claim that their "dimple" was marked incorrectly resulting in a useless lower
2. A ceratin amount of skill is assumed when attempting to build on a 80% lower
3. Cost
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 8:34:11 AM EDT
[#2]
'Dimpled' 80% Lowers: Rick at  www.ktordnance.com
Jig (purchase) : Justin at  www.cncgunsmithing.com (also available from KTOrdnance)
Jig (rental): William at  www.tanneryshop.com

Hole sizes: Available from the lower blueprint, available all over the net for free or buy a hard copy from the above companies for a few bucks.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 3:48:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks Guy's

This is exactly what I have been looking for.

NAV
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top