Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/13/2004 12:56:09 PM EDT
Thinking about doing my first build. The Sarco kits seem a good place to start as Iam looking for something affordable. Are these a good value? Any first hand experiences? Anything out there better price wise?Are the uppers assembled and headspaced?Any other suggestions?
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 1:23:44 PM EDT
[#1]
I would stay away from them for a first build.

Reason is that my past experience ordering from them, parts are missing from the kit, certain parts quality is really not useable is a weapon of any type. Unless you have done a few and have an idea what the parts should work and function test all of them before you fire. Get a DPMS kit or Model1 kit(Recently they have gotten a pretty crappy reputation)
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 4:38:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Thats what I was afraid of. Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 4:54:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Sarco parts kits unless specified as 100% brand new will most likely be used military parts.  If you know what you are doing, are going for a specific look and can afford to buy more than one kit go for it.  
My buddy and I purchased three Israeli FAL HB kits from them about seven years ago we combined the kits and each came out with a complete rifle of decent parts.  The leftovers kit was four parts shy of a complete kit and had all the most beat up furniture pieces.  Not bad for a $60 per kit investment.
Definitely not for beginners, the parts will require extensive refinishing and odds are there will be some parts missing.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 10:07:23 AM EDT
[#4]
I posted my experiences with two SARCO kits recently.  I would avoid them for a first time build.

dwj
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 12:44:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the replies gents. Would prefer an m4 anyway. Looking at model 1 or Rock River.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 3:30:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Have you thought about a J&T kit. They are one of the best I've seen at the price.

Link Posted: 10/31/2004 8:28:06 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm considering building a rifle from a kit myself.  Other than J&T, what other kit sources are recommended-or recommended against?

Glenn
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 11:46:47 AM EDT
[#8]
I can HIGHLY recommend J&T kits.  And lots of options available, including chrome lined if you want.  The last two kits I bought were from J&T, and I have bought asst parts from them.  All excellent.

Also, the uppers were completely assembled.  And done so well.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 8:23:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Go DPMS best i have found for color match and fit spectacular looking and operates superb
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top