Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/12/2004 6:29:07 PM EDT
can you cut the front sight base down and use it for an under the rail gas block?
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:36:58 PM EDT
[#1]
You should be able to.  That's what Bushmaster does on their dissipators IIRC.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:43:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes you can.  I did an ok hack job with my dremel cut off wheels and grinding wheel to smooth it out.  And it worked very well!
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 7:38:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Ya mean like this?
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 2:21:20 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Ya mean like this?
img.photobucket.com/albums/v451/powderfinger/FSB.jpg

wow, somebody took their time making that
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 1:17:32 PM EDT
[#5]
I wonder if the Troy MRF would fit over that
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 4:38:05 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Ya mean like this?
img.photobucket.com/albums/v451/powderfinger/FSB.jpg

now that is nicely done!!

i had to cut mine down in order to install a free float tube over my superlight barrel cause it seems that noone makes a low profile gas block for the .625 barrel. it works real good though and it feels alot better shooting it cause i know and anyone else who knows, i customized it

Link Posted: 10/14/2004 5:59:56 AM EDT
[#7]
ok, thanks, you guys just saved me another $40 on my build.  What do you use to re-black it?  Gun-kote?
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 6:13:40 AM EDT
[#8]
i used the birchwood casey, i think thats how you spell it. in flat black

i put about 500 rounds through it the other day and cleaned it with clp and the finish stayed put but it did get a lil shinier though
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 10:45:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Mine was bead blasted and hot blued.

And yes, it took some time to make it !!!
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 7:11:05 AM EDT
[#10]
thezman,

I like your work!  Have you thought about offering your chop job as a service?  I need something similar, but it doesn't have to look that good.  I sent you an email.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 11:57:19 AM EDT
[#11]

Why can't you just remove it?

I've been thinking of removing my fixed front sights and replacing with a folder, but I can't find any info on it.

Is it taboo to remove the front sight assembly?
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 1:28:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Some FSBs are more difficult (Bushmaster) to remove than others, but the main reason is that I want to use the existing pins/holes without additional fitting.  There seems to be a lot of variance in the vertical positioning of the pins, and I don't to hastle with them.  I also want to keep the bayo lug, and few of the current flip-ups or gas blocks out there have it.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 5:50:51 PM EDT
[#13]
M4-guy,

Didn't get your e-mail.

I can't offer this as a service because I don't have exclusive access to the blueing tanks.
They belong to my friend who is a gunsmith, and we don't fire them up unless we have a bunch of stuff to blue. We do a batch about every 2-3 months, so it would be a long wait for you to get your part back.

Larry
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 2:51:35 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
ok, thanks, you guys just saved me another $40 on my build.  What do you use to re-black it?  Gun-kote?

I taped off all the barrel and parts I didnt want painted and shot it with hi temp engine block paint.
I had a pinned on muzzle break that couldnt be easily removed. I did the whole operation gun intact.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top