Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/12/2004 1:44:09 PM EDT
Pursuant to my post here from yesterday, I got the notion that it may be way better to just get another upper (as opposed to changing my heavy FF on my 20") with a shorter barrel and lighter FS.

I visited Model1 sales and I see that they have Commando in 10 1/4" or C.A.R. and M-4 C.A.R. both in a 16" barrel.

My question is I'd like some accuracy out to 150yds or so. Can I count on all of these configs for this accuracy? or is the commando strictly CQB?

And what is the diff between M-4 C.A.R. and a regular C.A.R.

Lastly, they give a choice for caliber configs of 5.56 or .223 Rem. My lower is from PWA and is designated a "5.56 Commando" Should I be ordering a 5.56- I have been buying various .223 rounds. I have seen some arguments that they are one in the same. Should I play it safe and get 5.56 to match my lower's designation?

Thanks,

Ed
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 1:46:59 PM EDT
[#1]
10.5 in won't reliably fragment at 150 yards. the different in the M4 barrel is that it has the cutout to mount an M203. the 5.56 chamber will shoot 5.56 and .223.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 3:42:29 PM EDT
[#2]
topgunpilot20,

Concise... nice answer, really nice.

Thanks,

Ed
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 7:45:03 PM EDT
[#3]
You do know to keep in over 16" on a rifle, don't you? If you go shorter you have to register it as a Short Barreled Rifle (SBR).
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 8:05:10 PM EDT
[#4]
If I gota have 16" its going to be BBL. Not a waste of hollow space streached out to 16". But thats just me. MR Practical
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 8:19:25 AM EDT
[#5]
If you order from Model 1, you have to specify that you want a 5.56mm chamber.  Otherwise they automatically ship you a .223 chamber.  The exception is that all their chrome lined barrels are 5.56, so they told me on the phone.  Difference(s) between CAR and M4- Model 1 will send you an M4 upper with the M4 feed cuts in barrel extension and upper, if you ask, and they charge an extra $25.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top