Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/12/2004 12:17:44 PM EDT
OK.. I"ve read Flash hider threads 'till I can't focus.. Here it is.. I own 2 supposed Bushmaster 16" heavy barrel "Clinton Rifles".. One is straight out to the end.. Other has a "step down" aprox 5/8" from the  muzzle end. What I want is an installed flash hider with the same overall length that I have now. No extra length,nor do I want a "step down", but straight profile from hand guard to FH. General thought I've gleaned is that Phanton (5s2?) or the Vortex do a better job of "flash supression" than A2.. Now time for me to be honest as to my actual use of these rifles.. I'm fat and old, shoot from a standing or sitting position.. The days of laying in the dirt are long gone.. Chances of using at night are slim at best. The only reason for wasting your time and  my money on this project is for LOOKS..  There I said it.. Firearms, boats and cars have to "look right'..  Both of these "Clinton rifles" just look "nekid" as they are..  If I can get rid of the "step down" with an A2, that's probably what I'll ask ADCO  to do.. But I can be convinced other wise, with a good reason.. Sorry so wordy. Let me know how to spend the lady's money.. Jim
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 12:38:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Hey, lets face it, 99.9% of us build a rifle that is "visually pleasing" as well as functional. After 15 yrs in the Army I think AR's look odd without a flash supressor as well, and just recently purchased a no-ban upper from ADCO. My CAR A3 also has a very slight (1/64" maybe) step down just before the supressor, and I think it enhances the look.

With all that said, choose the f/h you like the best. I doubt theres alot of difference in "performance."
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 2:10:06 PM EDT
[#2]
My CAR A3 also has a very slight (1/64" maybe) step down just before the supressor, and I think it enhances the look................................That's why they make chocolate and vanilla.. I prefer the straight profile.. If step down is 5/8 from muzzle will an A2 give me the legal 16" that i need? Jim
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 7:56:40 PM EDT
[#3]
You know you are going to have to permanently attach that flash hider, like welding it, in order to be legal. I just don't want to see you get in any trouble for haveing a short barreled rifle, ya know.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 8:02:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Whats the barrel length, from bolt face to crown?
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top