Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/11/2004 8:04:47 PM EDT
Ok, I'm going to go on a building frenzy soon.  I need to pick up the neccesary tools, but I want to make sure I do it right.

Brownells has an armorer's tool kit for something like $700, but I'm sure they are high on glue.  It also comes with crap like an apron, tool box, and other BS I have no intention of buying.

Please help.  I'd like to buy a complete, high-quality set of tools for working on ARs, but I don't want to waste money, either.  Please help me compile a list of tools, how much they cost, and who I should buy them from.

Thanks for your help.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 8:53:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 1:50:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Hi man,

you can make alot of your own tools. I made my own barrel vise out of oak, my own roll pin punches out of the proper size nails, my own roll pin starter punches out of the proper size steel rod. there is even a way to make your own handguard tool out of quarter inch rod.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:20:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Try www.gunsnstuffonline.com

Barrel Wrench $26 does tel stocks too, two tools in one from olympic arms.

Upper receiver block $34

Craftsman roll pin / front sight pin punchs $10

Make you own front take down pin detent tool from a steel rod purchased at the hardware store $3.50

you can get a troque wrench for $19 @ harbor freight

A snap ring pliers that you can use for the delta ring $5. Does both internal and external snap rings.

Some masking tape to put on parts where you'll be using a punch, it protects the finish. $2 @ Wal-mart.

You may also need some small drill bits. Used by hand NOT in a drill you can clean out the detent holes in the lowers. you probably have these already?  Same goes for a hammer, already have one?

I'd suggest the USMC M16A2 manual too for $6 it has a ton of good info. GI Jane

That should be all the special tools you need.

Daubs
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:47:04 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Try www.gunsnstuffonline.com

DO NOT buy from "gunsnstuff" AKA "FAC".  Do a search.  AWFUL customer service, nothing is in stock.... practically a scam.  Buy from a reputable dealer who supports this site....
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 6:05:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Guess I should have done a search myself.  I was just going on price. I have not actually done business with Guns-n-stuff.  I would suggest doing a search on the equipment exchange forum for an action block and olympic arms barrel wrench.  That shoud give you some good leads.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top