AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/11/2004 10:21:18 AM EDT
I'm building a stock A2 20", and I am looking at these 3 kits:
DPMS: $542.95
M1S: $415.00
J&T: $449.00
Sarco: $294.95

I'm using it to build out an 80%.  This will end up being my first build, but my third/fourth AR.

The Sarco is attractive pricewise, and I don't mind some demilled parts, since I'm only building up an 80% anyway.  However, since its an 80%, I was thinking it might be smarter to use a nice tight clean kit since the 80% won't be perfect itself.

Does anybody have some opinions on these kits, and is it worth it to buy a nicer kit when I'm only doing an 80% reciever?  
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 11:04:03 AM EDT
[#1]
J&T is probably the best value of the ones you listed. I have been pleased with the 3 uppers I have from J&T. Model 1 has been much maligned here recently, perhaps with good reason. I have one of their kits (10.25" Pistol) and it seems to be okay so far, but some of the parts for the lower (pivot pin and takedown spring, bolt catch roll pin) did not fit in my RRA lower and I had to use some extra RRA parts I had left over. Not really a problem for me, but I imagine they would be irritating if I didn't have extra small parts on-hand. I have not heard too many good things about Model 1's customer service, but J&T's gets good marks.

I believe the Sarco kits have used parts in them. Something to keep in mind.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 11:32:13 AM EDT
[#2]
The last time that I saw a Sarco price that cheap was when they had them in the SGN for $286 for one or two issues.  Then when they saw the demand, they raised the price to $386.

As far as the DPMS kit, you must be getting that price directly from them.  You can do better from Kieslers, $379.95, or FAC, $399.  Look closely at the kits though, they may be different than your spec.  As I recall, they were post ban kits w/o flash hider & with a pinned stock.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 11:41:15 AM EDT
[#3]

I want a post-ban kit.  I live in MA, and the ban still applies to me.

Oh, and just to save everybody some time...
HEY Jon3, MOVE OUT OF COMMUNIST MASSACHUSETTS!!!@#!@#
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 5:57:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Hey Jon3,
As long as your weapon is U.S. 922 compliant, there are no AWB estrictions in MA. I just ordered a pre-ban CAR-15 kit from J&T Dist. with a collapsable stock and A-2 FH without any trouble. Of course I did this after a thorough review of the applicable MA gerneral laws. J & T Dist. seems to have the best rep around here for economy priced kits. It has been my experience that the states with the least restrictive gun policies also have the least economic opportunities for their residents.

John
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 6:45:03 PM EDT
[#5]
threejean:  You need to check again, specifically ch150.  The assault weapons ban was cloned by the MA state house.  The ban still applies to us!

Please do consult a lawyer or at least ask around before you go and build out that CAR15!

Whereabouts in MA are you?

Specifically you want to see Chapter 150 of the acts of 2004.   Here's a link

www.mass.gov/legis/laws/seslaw04/sl040150.htm

Basically, they cloned the federal ban on a state level.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 8:21:01 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
The last time that I saw a Sarco price that cheap was when they had them in the SGN for $286 for one or two issues.  Then when they saw the demand, they raised the price to $386.

As far as the DPMS kit, you must be getting that price directly from them.  You can do better from Kieslers, $379.95, or FAC, $399.  Look closely at the kits though, they may be different than your spec.  As I recall, they were post ban kits w/o flash hider & with a pinned stock.

websites for sgn, kieslers and fac please... ;)
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 3:03:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Jey Jon,
I'm down on the Cape (Hyannis). Of course, none of the laws make any sense. Seems like they're written to set people up to break them (or to have to pay lawyers to interpret them). Guess I better find out for sure. Thanks
John
Edit- I called the state and Jon3's right. Assholes kept the federal ban in place. Fortunately, J&T hadn't shipped my kit yet, so they'll change it to post-ban. I'll definetly go with them for future purchases.

John
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 10:33:17 AM EDT
[#8]
I didn't find any of the info on their websites, but here they are:

Kieslers  They apparently are changing their name to Firepower TV.

FAC  Be sure to research them.  They have gotten some "bad press" on these boards in the last few days.  

SGN

I found the FAC & Kieslers ads in the SGN.  I see them almost every issue.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 10:39:31 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I didn't find any of the info on their websites, but here they are:

Kieslers  They apparently are changing their name to Firepower TV.

FAC  Be sure to research them.  They have gotten some "bad press" on these boards in the last few days.  

SGN

I found the FAC & Kieslers ads in the SGN.  I see them almost every issue.

thanks
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top