Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/10/2004 10:22:33 PM EDT
Reading through all the pistol threads here is BAD, now I want one he1. Start with a brand new never used stripped lower and do the 4473 and state paperwork as a pistol? I plan to use a MEGA as it's local, priced right and OK I admit, I like the logo.
2. Any short barrel upper will work? I'm looking for chrome lined 1:9 with a CAR handgaurd. Bushy seems to have a nice unit and a rep for quality.  Any special consideration for the bolt group?
3. Pistol buffer.  Model 1 seems to be what is being used is with a max strength 1911 long slide Wolff spring trimmed to work.  Is there a better quality unit of similar length?  Reliability is tops but I also want to keep it shorter than using a rifle buffer tube with mods to make a stock not fit. Other than the buffer standard lower parts?
4. Assemble and troubleshoot h.gif

Is it that simple or did I miss something
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 4:35:43 AM EDT
[#1]
it is that simple
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 4:57:19 AM EDT
[#2]
CMMG has lowers for sale already logged in as pistol lowers.

Look here: CMMG
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 7:04:03 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
CMMG has lowers for sale already logged in as pistol lowers.

Look here: CMMG

Thanks but Carrico is the sole source of Mega lowers.  They are just down the road from me so I can pickup direct and avoid paying another FFL.  They also have lowers logged as pistols.  I talked to Clinton Carrico at the gunshow this weekend.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 10:59:36 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Reading through all the pistol threads here is BAD, now I want one

Is the following correct or did I miss something?
1. Start with a brand new never used stripped lower and do the 4473 and state paperwork as a pistol? I plan to use a MEGA as it's local, priced right and OK I admit, I like the logo.

OMG!  ANOTHER Washington resident wants a pistol!?!  That will be three I know of so far.... Noner and I and you (and of coarse, a few more I assume I don't know of).

Yes, that is what I did.  (And I wasn't aware that Mega had some going out as pistols..... they didn't when I check a while back....)

2. Any short barrel upper will work? I'm looking for chrome lined 1:9 with a CAR handgaurd. Bushy seems to have a nice unit and a rep for quality.  Any special consideration for the bolt group?

Well, the lengths avail. so far are 7.5, 10.25, 11 and 14".  That's what I've seen.  I think I ahve the 11", but don't recall.  Normal bolt/carrier assembly...nothing *hi tec*

3. Pistol buffer.  Model 1 seems to be what is being used is with a max strength 1911 long slide Wolff spring trimmed to work.  Is there a better quality unit of similar length?  Reliability is tops but I also want to keep it shorter than using a rifle buffer tube with mods to make a stock not fit. Other than the buffer standard lower parts?

There was a post, can't recall which thread, that stated Bushmaster has their pistol recoil system available.  It's a little longer then the M1S unit, but shorter then a CAR tube.  The post stated that you must call and ask about it, since it is not listed on the web page (at the time of the posting...who knows now).

The other upper option, but it is a 6.5" or 7", is the Oly Arms upper that has the recoil system in the upper....no buffer is needed.  The hole is plugged.... but the upper was like $550-600 alone last I looked (and they are most likely NOT selling them now since they are once again maufacturing their AR pistol....)

Yes, other then the buffer system, all lower parts are the same.

4. Assemble and troubleshoot

Is it that simple or did I miss something

Yes, you did miss something....

5) HAVE FUN with it!!!!
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 2:22:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Just use an CAR buffer tube/spring/buffer and avoid most of the trouble shooting.  Louisville Kentucky ATFE Mary Jane Humphrey told me the longer CAR buffer tube is NOT considered a stock unless you add the stock part to it, so using the longer and less prone to malfunctioning CAR tube can sure save you a lot of headaches.  You do not need to modify the tube so the stock cannot be attached, just don't put the stock on it with less than a 16 inch barrel and you are OK.  Doesn't look as "cool" as the short tube, but I'll take functional over cool any day.  
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 9:09:55 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Just use an CAR buffer tube/spring/buffer and avoid most of the trouble shooting.  Louisville Kentucky ATFE Mary Jane Humphrey told me the longer CAR buffer tube is NOT considered a stock unless you add the stock part to it, so using the longer and less prone to malfunctioning CAR tube can sure save you a lot of headaches.  You do not need to modify the tube so the stock cannot be attached, just don't put the stock on it with less than a 16 inch barrel and you are OK.  Doesn't look as "cool" as the short tube, but I'll take functional over cool any day.  

Or one could just order the Wolff 1911 long slide #1 spring and trim to fit- a $9.00 spring plus shipping.... direct from Wolff.  Others are getting one to verify that it works..... mine did.  Getting two springs and priority shipping is about $23.00.....
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 7:14:36 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

EXACTLY, bigbore!
And you retain the interchangability built into the Arf family.  A custom buffer system that has been tweaked into working with a specific upper will probably NOT function reliably when a different upper is used, neither will the pistol buffer lower be compatible with standard Arf uppers.

Is saving 3 inches(?) or so of overall length worth the hassle of dealing with a Model 1 "kit"...

Paladin
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 7:20:00 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

EXACTLY, bigbore!
And you retain the interchangability built into the Arf family.  A custom buffer system that has been tweaked into working with a specific upper will probably NOT function reliably when a different upper is used, neither will the pistol buffer lower be compatible with standard Arf uppers.

Is saving 3 inches(?) or so of overall length worth the hassle of dealing with a Model 1 "kit"...

Paladin
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top