Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/10/2004 2:51:56 PM EDT
I just got two DPMS lowers.  How can I tell if they are cast or forged?
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 3:43:00 PM EDT
[#1]
The serial numbers appear to end with a "K", but the K isn't engraved.  Its barely visible, like a lser etching.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 6:24:12 PM EDT
[#2]
The cast lowers will have raised lettering and logo. The forged lower will have the lettering engraved into the lower.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 6:29:57 PM EDT
[#3]
OK, that's good.  I am using one for my wifes rifle and the other for my 6.8mm deer/tactical rifle.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 2:09:40 PM EDT
[#4]
on your ser # of  your reciever if forged  will start with the letter "F"
on sand cast they have no letter  the "K"  on the end that is light  stands for KIT  or to let them know it left them as parts  and not a rifle  very old fordge recievers  will not have the letter "F"  on  them  
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 4:19:29 AM EDT
[#5]
One other way to tell is to see if it pings when you tap it with a hard object.

When I was installing the RRA parts onto my Ameetec Arms stripped lower, I could hear it ping like a forged piece of metal (forged crankshafts will make this sound) whenever I used the punch to drive in the roll pins.

If it's cast, it will just go THUNK. Ever smack a forged craftsman socket on the ground and it makes that ringing noise?
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 6:37:42 AM EDT
[#6]
It starts ith an "F"
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top