Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/10/2004 1:50:31 PM EDT
My new varmint upper has a float tube with vents in the end of it.  I'd like to install a bipod, but the vents aren't timed correctly, and I need to take the gas block off to adjust it.  Well, the block is held on with two set screws in the bottom and I can't get one of them out.  I've broken two allen wrenches, twisted another, and broken a bit with an impact driver, all with PB Blaster soaked in.  I don't think it has lock tite on it, because the other one didn't.  Please help if anyone has any ideas.  Thanks
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 1:55:57 PM EDT
[#1]
warm it up with a torch, then give it a try.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 3:18:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks, I thought about it, but is that going to discolor the barrel or gas block?  The barrel is stainless.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 5:33:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Come on, folks I know I'm not the first who's ever had this problem.  I'd rather not ruin the gas block.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 3:30:48 PM EDT
[#4]
No, he's right.  You don't have to warm it up that much.  Don't concentrate the flame for any length of time, flash the flame back and forth on the gas block.  You should only need to get it to the point where it won't burn you but it is uncomfortable to touch.

Some of the assemblers use "loc-tite" on the screws and also on the bottom of the gas block so it doesn't tend to move forward.  The heat will soften the loc-tite enough so you won't break any more allen wrenches.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 5:38:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks, that's encouraging.  Think I'll give it a try tomorrow.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 6:46:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for  the help guys,  I finally got it off with enough heat.  It did have lock tite on it.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 12:20:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Great!  I'm glad it worked out for you.  It's funny how entering the unknowen can make a person a little nervous, then when it's all over and done with, you realize that it was an easy task and end up with a bit more self confidence.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 1:09:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Yep, I learned something.  Now i just need to index the barrel nut and line up the float tube.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top