Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/7/2004 5:42:12 AM EDT
Hey gang!
 I'm close to starting on my next AR project. Can someone
let me know what they think of this stock? I like the looks of the
ARFX fixed stock, but the collapsible stock is practical for
transport. I'm beginning a new lower that I will SBR for an LRM
9mm suppressed upper. Thanks in advance!

Johnny C!
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 7:00:49 AM EDT
[#1]
I like mine alot.  It has the comfort of my regular ACE skeleton stock, but an adjustable LoP besides.

One issue to be aware: it seems as strong as advertised, but at the price of weight.  I estimate it to be about 50-70% heavier than either a CAR or M4 stock, and heavier even than an all-aluminum CAR/XM-177-style stock.

However, it may be the ticket for help in balancing your SBR, depending on the barrel and can combo you have in mind.

Cheers, Otto
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 7:27:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Otto,
 Do you think variable LOP is worth the weight diff
over the fixed stock? Also, is it as quick to collapse
as a regular A3?
Thanks,

Johnny C!
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 7:58:39 AM EDT
[#3]

Do you think variable LOP is worth the weight diff over the fixed stock?

To me, yes.
If all you need is adjustable length, save the money and buy a CAR or M4 for less than half price of the SOCOM.
Honestly, I thought the coolness factor was enough to buy it in addition to the regular ACE stock, and I'm very happy with it for its own merits now.  I don't really notice the weight, but I haven't had to carry it all day either.  

I just wanted to make you aware that it is a 16 oz.(?) stock before sinking $150+ in a stock that may make your carbon fiber 7.5" barreled 56 oz. 9mm SBR feel more like a butt-heavy boat anchor.
(ever try sighting down a sledge hammer handle with the head tucked into your shoulder?)
It may not be a draw-back for you, but I wanted to point out the weight issue-- ACE designed the thing for breaching doors I think.  Busts walnuts nicely, too.

is it as quick to collapse as a regular A3?

No.
But how fast to you need it to be?
With practice, its not slow, but the latch is stiffer and therefore much less prone to bumping it and having your stock suddenly shorten right when you need it most.
In general, a snap shot with a stock shorter than you expect is a good way to have the charging handle smack your nose hard enough to make your eyes water -- not a favorable condition for rapid sight picture for follow-ups.  Granted, so far that only makes my 3-gun scores lower, but to some that could be a vital issue. (I now use an A1 fixed stock for 3-gun)

Press the button, it adjusts; release the button, it stays put.  Whether is is slower than the CAR lever or not was not a deciding factor for me.

Cheers, Otto
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 9:22:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Otto,
 I just wanted to make sure that it didn't take an allen
wrench or something like that.  I'm a civy, & I want this
one to have a really high cool factor. I'm not sure that
I'll spring for the $155, & $85 for the fixed doesn't sound
to bad, either. I figure if I'm going to spend $1500
for the upper & stamps, whats another $70.
Thanks much for the replies...

John
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 2:56:44 PM EDT
[#5]

I just put one on a super light weight carbine I built. Using an A1 upper and this stock the complete carbine feels like it hardly weighs 4 lbs.

Koolness factor is definitely through the roof & I personally think its more comfortable than the standard 6-position collapsable stocks currently selling.

Price is a big issue with this stock though but I have to admit its been calling me from the day Ace Ltd. first marketed it but I couldn't use it until after the ban expired.

I'm glad I spent the money as its definitely what I wanted but I have to admit I wouldn't buy 2 of them.

Link Posted: 10/7/2004 5:43:54 PM EDT
[#6]
I just put two on my rifles, one a 5.56 and one a .458 SOCOM.  I'll shoot them next week and if I can remember, I'll post a follow up.  So far, I like them a lot.  They are only 5 position rather than 6 like the M4 but IMO they are very quick to extend and collapse, just as quick as the M4 for me.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 6:46:10 PM EDT
[#7]
+1
I have yet to hear someone say something bad about the SOCOM. My take, if it's plastic, it can and will break at the worst possible moment.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 4:23:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Hey guys, Thanks for the input.
 Is the release button the one on the left rear?
Also, is the only sling attachment point on top
in the back? I was hoping for a swivel at the front,
but from Princeton's pic, there  doesn't appear to be
one there. How about pic's of complete rifles.
IM me if you want to e-mail them.

Thanks a bunch. I think I'm sold!

Johnny C!
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 7:28:54 AM EDT
[#9]
i love mine too!!

yes the release button is on the left side at the rear

as for sling points there is one on top, two to the rear (ambi) and one right at the reciever which is also ambi
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 11:19:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks ek,

Johnny C!
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 7:43:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Looks and feels great, but not quite as good as the magpul m93 which I ended up purchasing. I also dislikes the foam pad that will not be so fun to squish your cheek into when it gets wet IMO. However, it would still be my second choice, and I like tha added weight of the magpul and ace, as it ballances the rifle especially if you plan on adding attachments up front. I hate a front heavy gun.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 6:33:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Who sells these? Thannks again!

Johnny C!
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 7:50:00 PM EDT
[#13]
I have one for sale for $100, I love it and hate to sell it but I need some cash flow right now.  IM me if interested.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 5:11:30 AM EDT
[#14]
IM sent
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:12:56 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Who sells these? Thannks again!

Johnny C!

I bought mine here: Del-ton

Cheers, Otto
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:21:25 AM EDT
[#16]
I got mine from Del-Ton and I love it.

Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:28:04 PM EDT
[#17]
IM's sent to both offers. Waiting...

Johnny C!
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 8:47:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Was looking at that earlier.... nice stock..... price bad.  I'm cheap, but I'll prob. end up getting one at some point.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top