Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/6/2004 8:16:20 PM EDT
Instead of the 7.5, 10, or 11 inch upper...

Anyone know if a 14.5 upper would be legal?  Sure it sounds kinda long...but I'm curious.

Thanks,
Cygnus
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 8:21:47 PM EDT
[#1]
BATF says in order to be a pistol the barrel has to be under 12".
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 8:22:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes. As long as it is below 16".
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 8:23:06 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
BATF says in order to be a pistol the barrel has to be under 12".

Where the hell did you hear that? Bolt actions have 15 inch barrels.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 8:56:48 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a factory XP-100 pistol w/ a barrel just over 14".  I know that one is legal.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 7:19:46 AM EDT
[#5]
I'd really like to know where anyone gets a barrel limitation/spec/length/whatever for handguns.

The key aspect of a handgun that makes it a handgun is the fact that it is "designed to be held and fired by the use of a single hand"

From the US Code:
18 USC 921
(29)The term ''handgun'' means -
(A) a firearm which has a short stock and is designed to be held and fired by the use of a single hand; and
(B) any combination of parts from which a firearm described in subparagraph (A) can be assembled.

The Supreme Court has weighed in on the issue as well:
"The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms advised respondent that when the kit was possessed or distributed with the Contender, the unit constituted a "firearm" under the National Firearms Act (NFA or Act), 26 U.S.C. §  5845(a)(3), which defines that term to include a rifle with a barrel less than 16 inches long, known as a short-barreled rifle, but not a pistol or a rifle having a barrel 16 inches or more in length.  
"Neither pistols nor rifles with barrels 16 inches long or longer are firearms within the NFA definition, ..."

US v. Thomson/Center, 504 U.S. 505 (1992), hosted here: quarterbore.com/library/law/us_v_tc.pdf

Cheers, Otto

ETA: Thanks for hosting, Quarterbore.  For those of you who don't know, QB has posted several key firearms court decisions on his very informative web site. www.quarterbore.com
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 4:07:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Last time I looked, California had a restriction on the maximum pistol barrel length;  the barrel had to be less than 16".  Other states or localities might pull something similar.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 9:11:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Michigan has an even stranger law. If you have a rifle with a folding stock it has to be I beleive 30'" long or it has to be registered as a pistol.Silly or what.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top