Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/4/2004 8:27:16 PM EDT
okay, so i've finally picked out all my parts, and will be ordering all within the next two months. Next question i have is on paint. I've read that some people just use krylon paint, some use moly resin, and some pay to have it done.

My question is more on the krylon/pay someone to do it lines:
During your prep... and i'll probably get flammed for this one, you don't sand any of your parts do you? can anyone give me some insight as to the steps taken to paint an ar-15?
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 9:38:17 PM EDT
[#1]
1- purchase appropriate colors of Krylon Camo System paint

2- (optional) take the gun outside

3- paint gun to your satisfaction
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 9:43:57 PM EDT
[#2]
I would say it's very important to degrease your rifle, otherwise the paint will not stick!
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 8:25:15 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I would say it's very important to degrease your rifle, otherwise the paint will not stick!

yes, carb cleaner
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 8:28:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Yes, degrease, but don't sand your receivers, barrel, etc.  Those parts were sandblasted before the anodized (aluminum) or manganese phosphate (steel) finishes were applied, all that's necessary is to degrease.  

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top