Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/4/2004 7:48:30 PM EDT
Its time to order my lower receiver.  The question I have is which ones do I need to stay away from and which ones are the diamonds in the rough?  I found an eagle arms one for $99 the rest seem to be 140 or so.  Is the eagle arms one anygood or would I be better off going with an asa or something else? Thanks for all the help guys.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 7:56:42 PM EDT
[#1]
I have RRA and Eagle Arms, both are good.  I'd like to buy one more EA so I have a matched pair of them.  The EA is much grayer than my RRAs.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 8:01:51 PM EDT
[#2]
stay away from cast receivers. oh and stay away from mine.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 8:02:24 PM EDT
[#3]
is it so grey that it wont match a model 1 or J&T kit?  would it be worth it to buy a bushmaster for 150?
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 6:26:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Try a Stag arms lower from Eagle firearms.net.  For the price how can you go wrong?  

Also Armalite has Cavalry arms lowers cheep, you can't get a much lighter lower.  See my post in the Cavalry forum on the industry board for differenceses in assembly.

RRA,PWA,Eagle (Div of Armalite), are all good but if you have a tight budget then the two above are the way to go.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 6:38:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Stay away from Vulcan Arms, or Hesse Arms.  They sux0r hardcore.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 8:22:17 AM EDT
[#6]
I bought an Ameetec lower for $90. It looks nice and they've had good reviews here.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 10:43:58 AM EDT
[#7]
well its ordered.  I went with the J&T 16C.A.R kit pre ban with the collapsable stock and the all those goodies.  For the lower I spent the extra 20 dollars and went with the eagle arms stripped lower from tripple break products...J&T is getting ready for a show so it is going to be next week before i get the riffle.  No i just get to sit and wait.  
thanks again to everyone who gave their advice.  
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 1:23:59 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

YEa, if your running through the jungle or climbing mountainess regions and would happen to fall onto something hard like a rock, and your cast lower just happened to break your fall, theres a chance it could break. Better safe than sorry.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 1:39:58 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

YEa, if your running through the jungle or climbing mountainess regions and would happen to fall onto something hard like a rock, and your cast lower just happened to break your fall, theres a chance it could break. Better safe than sorry.

Your probably right. Same with a chrome lined barrel, do any of us really shoot that much to utilze the full potential of a chrome lined barrel?

That said, if a forged lower is only a few bux more and is both structurally and aesthetically suprior, why not.  I honestly don't see a reason not to.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 2:22:31 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

WTF.......My Essential Arms cast lower has been working great since 1993
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 2:25:51 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+2....E.A. lowers that is
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 2:35:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Megas are fine, Stag are fine, no complaints on any of those.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 6:18:51 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+2....E.A. lowers that is

+1 more here, since 1988 or so...and I just built up two more....
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 2:23:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Out of  two DPMS cast lowers I've used, one was out of spec.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 5:54:52 PM EDT
[#15]
FWIW, I dropped my 80% casting on the concrete today from about 4 feet and it didnt break or crack. I probably just got lucky though
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 1:29:13 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Out of  two DPMS cast lowers I've used, one was out of spec.

Same thing happenned to a buddy.
He bought two Olympic arms cast lowers, the first one we tried building on was out of spec.
The trigger assy wouldn't work correctly.
The second one was fine and was perfect with the same internals.
He built it up later again but it took a little fiddling to get things working as they should.

Edited to add:
Not a bust on OlyArms, everything else I have bought from them has worked great.  The reason that was suggested (not by OlyArms) for the out of spec holes was that the jig being used when drilling required each side to be drilled then the rec was flipped over in the jig to drill the other side.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 6:24:22 AM EDT
[#17]
So which major AR manufacturer uses Stag lowers (as is mentioned on the Eagle Firearms website)?
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 6:48:21 AM EDT
[#18]
I have heard of QC problems with Eagle Arms stripped lowers lately.  For now, I'd avoid them.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 8:37:22 AM EDT
[#19]

So which major AR manufacturer uses Stag lowers (as is mentioned on the Eagle Firearms website

I beleive I have read on here that RRA and Stag are the same.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top