Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/3/2004 11:41:02 PM EDT
Minus the lower? I know of Model 1, M&A and J&T, who am I forgetting? I bought an Ameetec stripped lower last week and am going to get a complete upper kit within the next few weeks. I have a planned budget of not much more than $600, I've got $90 in the lower which leaves about $510-550 max. left for a M4 upper kit with chrome lined barrel and M4 style buttstock and hand guards. Any ideas? I'm looking at Model 1 ($520 for M4 style with chrome line barrel and M4 stock set) but want other ideas before I bite the bullet so to speak.

BTW, I want an A2 style with the carrying handle.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 1:11:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Have you thought about buying the parts seperatly rather than in kit form. From what people say you can get some good deals in the EE that way. Or you might even get really lucky and find something at a gunshow. Don't forget there is also Christmas comming up in a few months. Which means you might be able to get free parts from family members. Guess what'll be on my Christmas list.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 2:45:46 AM EDT
[#2]
You can get a LMT upper minus the bolt group and charging handle for $485 from:

BRAVO COMPANY USA

You can then buy a RRA enhanced bolt group for $95 and a RRA charing handle  for $16 atEAGLE FIREARMS . Total cost would be $595 plus S&H. Seems to be a little out of your price range, but LMT is top notch quality.

LMT M4 upper can be had in 10.5", 14.5", or 16" lengths (all the same price), and come with an A2 FH
Bravo Company all includes M4 hand guards for free. The LMT upper has 1/7 twist with chrome lined barrel made of 4150 steel, not the lesser quality 4140 steel. It also has M4 feed ramps, which increase the reliability of the gun.

U should also check out G and R Tactical. They also sell LMT uppers, and are having a special deal on an LMT upper with LaRue 7.0 Free Float tube for $712, minus bolt group and charging handle.

Edit: I found another post here on the forums...  RB PRECISION is selling an RRA "enhanced" bolt group for $99 shipped.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 2:49:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 6:45:00 AM EDT
[#4]
I just went through the same thing. I've got an Ameetech receiver on order and I sat down and compared M4 kits from J&T, M1S, and M&A. J&T's same set up runs $585 and M&A said they did not offer chrome lining for the M4. As you stated M1S runs $65 dollars less than the J&T kit with the same features you're looking for. I went with the $520 M1S kit. I received it two days after ordering it. So far I am very pleased. I have not shot it yet.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 8:49:07 AM EDT
[#5]
I have a J&T kit and paid more the chrome.  I have't had any problems with it since she was built.

You can "kit" out parts from all of the listed websites.  Price shop between them to see who can get you the best deal on all the needed components.  That's what I did for my second build and it saved me a few bucks.  
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 10:12:14 AM EDT
[#6]
I bought a Bushmaster M4 chrome lined barrel from Pete @ legal Transfer 14.5" with permanent phantom =16" oal.. Then all the pieces to build a A4 flat top upper and I'm just under $500.00 for all of it..
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 10:14:56 AM EDT
[#7]
The M4 (complete carbine kit- everything except the lower recvr) is $475 from M&A. Chrome-moly Wilson Match Grade Bbl (Chrome lined not avail on M4), LMT upper, USGI parts, std 4 pos. Car stock, a2 or flat top.

I answer the phone there 9-5 cst.

Doc.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 12:02:28 PM EDT
[#8]
It was the option of chrome lining from M1S that influenced me. I was strongly looking at M&A (a friends advice), but I did want a chrome barrel. The full M4 kit from M&A is $505, making M1S $15 more, but you get a chrome lining. Has M&A considered offering chrome lining on their M4's?
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 12:15:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Excuse me for asking but what is M&A's website? Did not see them in industry section.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 12:19:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 1:32:29 PM EDT
[#11]
>>>quote
It was the option of chrome lining from M1S that influenced me. I was strongly looking at M&A (a friends advice), but I did want a chrome barrel. The full M4 kit from M&A is $505, making M1S $15 more, but you get a chrome lining. Has M&A considered offering chrome lining on their M4's?>>>quote

That M&A price you mention on an m4 ($505) would be with an m4 model stock substituted (for the std Car colapsable it would be $475)

Bill Caplan doesn't choose to offer a chrome lined, most of our LE buyers don't want it that way. That's the bulk of M&A's business along with individual Milty purchases. We offer the chrome as a $50 option and they are Bushmaster (only on the 20" a2 1:7 and 16" 1:9), the rest of our barrels are Wilson Match Grade Chrome Moly.

Doc @ M&A

Link Posted: 10/4/2004 1:45:17 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Excuse me for asking but what is M&A's website? Did not see them in industry section.

We're working on that as well.  We also have a new website... about to roll out- unfortunately we're not real hip to computer based marketing- but that's about to change... in a very big way.

Doc @ M&A
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 6:09:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Oddly I pieced my last one together out of the spares box and only had to buy two big parts.
Turned out I had a complete lower parts kit save for a spring and a pin
A Bolt and Carrier group
Always have extra firing pins and such.
3 pistol grips (various)
A pile of handguards
one for a 203
2 sets M4
3 sets car
1 Set M-16/SP1
several Flash Suppressors
I bought the Upper from Denny's and the Barrel from Bushmaster.......
Assembled the whole darn thing for a little less thanthe cost of the Kit and a Lower.....

Now I need to stock up on spares again.....

Link Posted: 10/4/2004 8:04:50 PM EDT
[#14]
What is the big diffrence between chrome lined and no chrome? Doc, you say that the LE and military prefer the non-chrome barrels? If so, why?
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top