Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/3/2004 7:20:43 PM EDT
Ok I've done a lot of research on this idea, and I was wondering if any one has come up with any new info that would help me.

This is what I have in mind.  An Ar pistol build in .45 acp.  I found that I can get a 16" barrel from OA for just under $200.  The bolt carrier assembly $132, and the ejector spring $12.  I can get a stripped lower (and yes I've ck'd out the local laws).  

So I have to cut and re crown the barrel, get a pistol buffer, put all the parts together and I would have a .45 acp AR pistol.  I need help with the hand guards.  Who makes them short enough?  GG&G ?  Any Ideas?  

I'm looking for advice on all of this.  It looks good on paper, and the math works, but I've never done anything like this so any info would be much appreciated.  I'm not in a hurry, I want to do this right.  I like the Idea of this pistol.  I like the idea that it does come real close to being an SBR.  If you know what I mean.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 7:31:09 PM EDT
[#1]
They can cut and crown the barrel for a small fee. I recomend you go with a 7.5 inch barrel with a muzzle device, then tuck it all into a free float tube. Then run an optic. Thats what I would do.

Don't waste time with the regular handguards, you dont need a gas block and iron sights are pointless at arms length.

Edit: If you talk to them about it, they would probably make you a complete pistol. They do some cool custom stuff down there.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 7:46:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Give it large-aapeture irons, use a free-float tube for a handguard (YHM makes a good one, IIRC), and you should be good...
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 9:50:53 AM EDT
[#3]
I have thought about this also, but for a 9mm pistol build. Olympic Arms also makes a FIRSH that is short for a pistol. I think it is the 'stubby' size or something similar. They run about $65 from FAC, or you could just get it from Olympic along with everything else.

My main concern about a pistol caliber bolt is if it works with the pistol buffer tube assembly... since the spring goes inside the carrier itself in a .223 bolt.

I have not seen the bolt on a 9mm or .45 AR system, so I was unsure about if it worked correctly.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 7:51:49 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I have thought about this also, but for a 9mm pistol build. Olympic Arms also makes a FIRSH that is short for a pistol. I think it is the 'stubby' size or something similar. They run about $65 from FAC, or you could just get it from Olympic along with everything else.

My main concern about a pistol caliber bolt is if it works with the pistol buffer tube assembly... since the spring goes inside the carrier itself in a .223 bolt.

I have not seen the bolt on a 9mm or .45 AR system, so I was unsure about if it worked correctly.

Good question, thanks guys.  I'll see what I can come up with in the next few months.  I'll post it of course.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 10:11:04 AM EDT
[#5]
i would like to do a pistol too, 45 acp, 7.5 inch
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 8:21:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Considered trying to build one in .50 cal. bewolf, but I'll problaly never get everything rounded up for it, let alone get'r together and running.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 1:31:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Try http://www.rhinelandarms.com/ for a better price on a barrel. These are for Mauser & Enfield conversions, but can be turned to fit your needs.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top