Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/3/2004 1:09:47 PM EDT
So last night I was working on an upper out in the shop, got the barrel on, lubed the nut and wrenched her on down. The teeth looked good and lined up for the gas tube to slide easily into the body, and i got called in to help my wife in the house. This morning I go back out, and of course the alignment is a bit off. I took my ol trusty Dremel and ground into the tooth obstructing the path of the gas tube slightly and she went together perfect from there. Anyone elso done this? I could not budge the nut to align it better.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 1:21:56 PM EDT
[#1]
You not supposed to use "Loctite" for 1....  a little dab of grease on the threads  to allow smooth application of torque is what you suposed to have done.   The gas tube acts as a "key" to keep the barrel nut from turning if it were try to start and turn loose.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 1:24:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 2:08:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Oops on my part, I was thinking super lube and wrote loc-tite, I also must say it was an incredibly small amount of metal removed. Handguards look perfectly aligned. I was just wondering if anyone else was as big an ass as myself, guess not.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 6:23:37 PM EDT
[#4]

"Oh my God, a Dremel on a barrel nut!?!?!?!?!?"
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 6:28:17 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't think I heard you right, you DREMELED your barrel nut??  There is a reason why they make the barrel nut that way you know.  Regardless of whether it's only a small amout of metal or not, that is simply not the way to align your gas tube.  
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 2:21:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Got it guys. Took it all apart, re did the whole thing. It took a buddy to help me hold the wrench on while I loosened it, but she went back together without a flaw.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 3:26:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top