Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/3/2004 5:54:08 AM EDT
Got an upper yesterday where the slots in the FFT are not symetrically aligned.  Maybe a better way of putting it is, that they are not aligned perfectly with the vertical and horizontal axis of the barrel.  Wow, I sure hope this is making sense to you guys cause I'm starting to confuse myself!  Normally it wouldn't bother me, but I need to mount a stud for bipod use.  I have no idea how FFT's are mounted as this is the 1st I've ever owned.  Is there a simple fix, should I just leave it alone or is it something that I need to send out to a competent gunsmith?  Thanks to all for your help!
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 12:57:37 AM EDT
[#1]
i guss you have an aluminum  FFT , most of the free float tubes are threaded  2 pieces  if your slots dont line up
you can put your upper in a block, and you will have to heat it up and unscrew it all the way you will  have to remove the sight tower, or gas block and gas tube   clean the threads off and use lock tight (red) and screw it back on it wont get tight move the FFT to where you want it  and let set for 24 hours  it will be ready to go  
if you have a 1 piece (old one)  or a 2 piece  un threaded you might want to take it to a smith for installation.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 1:19:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 1:21:42 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a similar issue with a RRA varminter upper.  The bipod stud is off by about 5 degrees.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 1:37:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top