Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/2/2004 9:08:17 PM EDT
Hey guys, I finally decided to do a little painting.  I decided to start out by Aluma-Hyde II painting my 700PSS stock.  After it dried for about a week I went to put it back together, and being an idiot grabbed the wrong torque wrench out of my brothers tool box.  I started to tighten and realized, hey this isn't right, and realized I was torquing to 65ft/lbs instead of 65in/lbs!  I feel like the biggest idiot!  Anyway, I never actually torqued it that high, but when I went to back it out the hex head buggered!  Now I'm not sure how tight it is, but the hex bit nor the allen wrench will work, and I can't get the screw out!  I'm mildly freakin out here, so please forgive me that this isn't AR related, but it is building related and I need some advice!  Whats the best way to remove this screw?

-Hershey
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 11:31:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Sears sells buggered screw removers. They work. Try it.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 5:13:11 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a set and tried them.  No luck, now the hole is bigger and nicely rounded.    How about the screw extractors shown on the same page?  Any one try them, have any luck, how do yu use em?

-Hershey
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 5:37:25 AM EDT
[#4]
If you can fit a torx socket it there with a little persuasion, it might just do the trick. It works on boogered up allen heads on front brake caliper slide bolts 90% of the time.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 3:37:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Hey, guys.   The Torx didn't work...   However, I was able to carefully drillout the head of the screw without damaging the trigger guard/floorplate.  That freed the stock and I was able to remove the  screw with some channel locks!  Thanks again for all the advice!  

-Hershey
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top